Need help with landscaping ideas.

kikiboiJuly 6, 2012

I just bought my first house, and i need some ideas of what you would do to make my front yard beautiful. i want a more modern dessert landscape.

i uploaded some photos.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cearbhaill

Where is your entry/ front door?
Maybe a photo from that angle, too?

Bookmark   July 7, 2012 at 7:30AM
mohavemaria

I don't know if you are in northern or southern Nevada but either way I'm glad you are opting for a desert landscape in the driest state in the US. We've lived in Las Vegas for 22 years and desert landscaping has become increasingly common here and there are so many great examples around town to look at and get ideas from.

That is what I would do if I were you. I don't know what you mean by modern desert landscaping but certainly the landscaping I see in newer communities are usually nicer than some of the older ones. If you don't have good examples in your neighborhood you could go to some of the newer areas and try to find a look you like and then try to copy it.

I would make sure to put some thing to hide your hose and piping up against the front of your house. Agaves do great here but you might not want something with thier wicked spines by your walk but a smaller variety of texas ranger(leucophyllum) or baccharis kept pruned might work for you there. I don't know what way your house faces or if you are in So N. but aloe vera grows well here in LV so long as it isn't in the west sun exposure and it would be taller than wide and might look nice up against your house and maybe have a bit of a modern look.

Your tree looks like it might be a desert willow. They are great trees but can look a little rough in the winter if you have a variety that keeps its seed pods when it loses its leaves. I would be sure to put in plants that will look good in the winter to off set that.

There are some great choices and the desert plants are much more likely to survive and be healthy than non desert plants.

Maria

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:51AM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

Personally I tend to take a sculptural approach when someone has a fairly blank flat canvas and says they want a modern approach.
Using boulders, stone and steel to create patterns in which to layer in distinctly bold foliage plants.

To see some inspirational photos you might enjoy the website Houzz.
Type in modern desert landscape and see what comes up.

Here is a link that might be useful: houzz

Bookmark   July 10, 2012 at 12:08PM
More Discussions
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
We want to build a deck over the pool.
Rather than go to the trouble and expense of demolishing...
alladrm
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™