(week of) 4/27/09-Show me your bloomers!

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)April 28, 2009

I mandered around a bit this eve and took a few pics. I 'collect' lilacs and was glad to get a pic of this Lilac named True Pink before the blooms faded as they have already on a few varieties.

Pics are clickable.

This roadside bed is in sorry shape, but it shows the true Pink Lilac almost glowing. In a couple of weeks or so the bed will be ablaze with color from the irises.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jim_6b(TN)

Pink dogwood, jack-in-the-pulpit, some kind of tulip I think, wisteria and chives.

jim_6b

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 1:08PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Oh my goodness Jim... love the Pink Dogwood and the wisteria and how you have it trained. I have always wanted one trained like that. Is yours pink as it appears? With diligence, can about any wisteria variety be trained like that? How many years does it take?

Do you ever save and berries (seeds) from the pink dogwood?...hint, hint.

I noticed your pics again are not clickable...I get a p-bucket message that says "The action that you were trying to perform has failed.
"
Did you copy the HTML Thumb from below the pic? I know sometimes mine won't go to an enlarged pic, but to a pic that is the same thumbnail size as it is in my post. I think it might have to do with how the pic was uploaded to p-bucket or something...maybe I resized them somewhere along the way.

Thanks for sharing.

Sue

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 1:22PM
jim_6b(TN)

Sue
I don't see an option for HTML Thumb. I see a HTML Code and an IMG Thumb but no HTML Thumb.
jim

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 8:38PM

I don't see an option for HTML Thumb.
1-Ok...go to your account options...it is in the upper right hand corner, sort of.
2-Scroll down and under Album settings, click link options
3-Under IMG for bulletin boards & forums, check the box for Clickable Thumbnail and then SAVE.

That should do it. Check it out and show us some more pics...purdy please.

Sue

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 9:36PM
jim_6b(TN)

Wisteria

Lunaria going to seed

Columbine

Arisaema Green Dragon

Iris

I'm getting closer. Thanks for the help Sue. I'm using a camera phone so the pics aren't that good. The dogwood was actually a lighter pink. I will keep an eye out for some seed.
jim_6b

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 10:44PM

I will keep an eye out for some seed.
Great! It is usually red and collected in the fairly late fall, or it is here anyway.

OK...YOu did great on your pics...all are clickable and go to a bigger pic, with the exception of the first one. I still get the p-bucket message The action that you were trying to perform has failed.
Did you maybe copy the wrong code on that one.

I'm using a camera phone so the pics aren't that good.
I think they are all great. Is the columbine the native one?
Does that pretty blue iris have a name?

Thanks for sharing again...what happened to the pics you posted earlier today?

Sue...rbb

Bookmark   April 29, 2009 at 11:41PM
jim_6b(TN)

I don't keep many pics in my p-bucket album. I deleated the other pics. next time I post pics I'll remember to keep them in my album.
The columbine is a native but I don't know about the iris.
Thanks again for the help.
jim

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 6:00AM
jim_6b(TN)

TaDa!

jim

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:18AM

Oh My Goodness! It is even more gorgeous in a bigger pic!

You're good Jim...or it is you're 'bad' Jim?

You still did not answered my question posted above...With diligence, can about any wisteria variety be trained like that? How many years does it take?

Sue

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 9:42AM
jim_6b(TN)

I bought that about 8 years ago and they called it a tree wisteria. When I received it, it was about 2 feet long and didn't look like a tree to me. I found out that you have to train it to grow that way. I would think that you could train others to do the same. What you do is let 1 main branch grow, keeping it tied to a pole. I actually let two grow to about 5 or 6 feet in case 1 died or something else happened then I cut one off. They will grow more smaller limbs around the base and along the trunk and you have to keep them cut off but leave the top alone. I thought I would eventually be able to remove the pole but I don't think the trunk will ever support the top. It took about 4 years for mine to bloom.
I also have a rose of sharon bush that I pruned to have 1 main trunk that's 4 feet tall and it has a 2 foot round ball at the top. I'll take a picture next time it blooms.

jim

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 3:27PM

Thanks Jim...that is sort of what I thought, but thought it might take even longer than that. I found a great discussion over on the Vine Forum.

I thought I would eventually be able to remove the pole but I don't think the trunk will ever support the top.
I agree with you, and likely would never risk it being damaged by toppling over. It is beautiful!

I also have a rose of sharon bush that I pruned to have 1 main trunk that's 4 feet tall and it has a 2 foot round ball at the top. I'll take a picture next time it blooms.
I love things pruned into standards, but sort of think of them as more formal. Of course anything goes with me in my hodge podge plantings.

I found this cool pic on line of a

Here is a link that might be useful: Wisteria tree vs. Wisteria vine

Bookmark   April 30, 2009 at 10:43PM
jim_6b(TN)

I have some more bloomers I wanted to share.
The last pic is a native plum bush that I pruned into a small tree. They are actually a bush I guess. They have roots that grow 10 to 15 feet out and will form suckers along them. If left alone they will get out of control. When ripe the plums are small and very soft, but they make a great jam.

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 9:01PM
token28001(zone7b NC)

Jim, not sure if you know, but dogwoods will almost 99% of the time produce only white flowering trees. Pink and red are usually grafted at a very early age. I'm growing some from seed now. I collected from all three color trees and hope to find my 1%.

Bookmark   May 12, 2009 at 8:38PM
outnproud(5 West MI)

Iris

Iris. This is my favorite flower currently in my possession. It was labeled "Iris Superstition", but is not. Superstition is all black and this one has orange signals.

Crested Iris

This is "Iris Batik" Which has gorgeous coloring. Unfortunately the flowers are VERY shortlived.

Not sure what kind of wildflower this is. It grows rampant here in West Michigan. It is a tad invasive, but it has a similar growth to Phlox and Cleome, so it is a good looking plant. Also, it is intoxicatingly fragrant.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:36PM
jim_6b(TN)

My Echinacea tennesseensis are doing good this year. I let the the gold finches eat a lot of the seed last year and they drop many of them so I have about a hundred baby plants. I will probably dig them in the fall and offer them for postage or I may take them to the fall plant swap here in Tennessee.
jim_6b

Bookmark   June 11, 2009 at 9:13PM
jim_6b(TN)

The Callas are starting to bloom.

jim_6b

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 5:45PM
countrycarolyn(6-7nwTN)

Nice jim, I cant wait till mine sprout.

Bookmark   June 18, 2009 at 2:27PM
jaynine

A few from my gardens. Happy Last Day of Spring!
'May Night' Salvia Valerian UI Poppy 'Phillipine' Cosmidium 'Whirlygig' Zinnia 'Crimsonia' Fringed Pink
UI Iris (before the rain!)

Bookmark   June 20, 2009 at 4:01PM
More Discussions
omphalodes cappadocia 'Starry Eyes "
Would like to receive this lovely plant's seeds if...
Patty57
Check out my updated trade list
My trade list has been updated and I am looking to...
rozenkruetz
thanks mcc371
OK this is for mcc371 , i could not figure out your...
tergrov
HAVE 10 Key Lime Seeds to TRADE
I decided I do not have the patience, space or interest...
rubyhum
HAVE: Over 400 Varieties of Tomato Seeds
***To everyone that responded to my original post back...
kbreezy27
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™