Landscaping ideas & suggestions

special2usa(5B)July 24, 2014

Hi All,

hope you can help me with some landscaping ideas for my front yard.

The front yard gets Sun nearly all day
Zone: 5b

I would like to keep the hostas plants incorporated in the update. Will be updating the retaining wall so it would run across the entire span of the yard. Thought about adding White Grosso Lavender. I'm open to all suggestions.

Thanks in Advance

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
special2usa(5B)

Another pic of the entire yard.

The only time it doesn't get sun is starting at 6pm.

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 6:20PM
yardvaark

Special, I can't get a sense of the house because the trees and large shrubs are blocking so much of it. Where does one enter? The shrubs need different pruning. From the same place you took the second picture, could you return and show one aiming leftward so we could see what's over there?

Bookmark   July 24, 2014 at 11:26PM
special2usa(5B)

Left side of home and main entrance. I just recently purchased the house a month ago so I know there are plenty of projects I have to complete starting in the fall.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 5:57AM
yardvaark

Here are some suggestions to spruce and tidy it up. The notes are on the drawing.

If you don't begin limbing up the trees soon, it's going to be much more difficult to do after allowing more growth.

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:24AM
special2usa(5B)

Thanks Yardvaark! I was thinking about removing the random bushes on the left side of the pic (by the mailbox) and keeping it only grass. What are your thoughts? Is there something I can mix the Hostas with to get a pop of color? I love the smell of lavender, but not sure if they will work with hosts.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:39PM
yardvaark

In dim light, random shrubs dotting the yard can seem eerily similar to tombstones in a cemetery.

If by "mix with Hosta" you mean intermix as one would blend something together, I would not do. Find other places for colorful things ... as I found that spot right next to your steps. Right now, getting some of the other things done is more important than finding spots for color. And in getting some of those things done, spots where color could go will appear as if by magic.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 7:16AM
emmarene

First the tree trimming. If you don't have a pole saw buy one. The other thing that does not please my eye is the look of dot to dot beds. It looks like two beds connected by a bridge of Hostas.If you remove just a few inches of lawn I think it would look like a long sweeping bed from the porch to the other side.

Mature shrubs are an asset so you may want to leave a few of them. If they are deciduous you can likely cut them back to restore them.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 4:08PM
More Discussions
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
To fence or not to fence
Greetings, I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife...
rick777
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™