Deep Containers with less diameter

saoodhashimOctober 18, 2013

Reading posts around here, I came to know that because of PWT, it is better to have deep containers instead of shallow ones. Now for vegetables like tomato and cucumber the minimum size preferred is 5 gallon which a 15 inch diameter x 12 inch depth round container can fulfill. I saw one container which was deep and long like the depth was 18-20 inches but its diameter was only 8-10 inches. Can such containers be used for such vegetables? Will such containers be a better alternative?

Such can have a higher risk of falling over - but if this risk is somehow controlled / mitigated, what would be your recommendation?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

If that's what you were able to find, then I'd say get one and try it. See how it works. You're going to have super intense sun and lots of heat on the roots. For that reason I'd try to have as large of a container as possible to give some buffer for the temps, but worst thing that can happen is your plants get too stressed and die. Then you get to try again! Good luck.

Bookmark   October 20, 2013 at 12:49AM
saoodhashim

Thanks Juliana

I am not required to work with them. I was enquiring if this is a better option. If, however, the merits of using it are less than its demerits, I will work with the normal ones.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 4:31AM
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Tomato plants would probably like it since they like to be planted deep.

Keep in mind that tall semi-cylindrical vases with tapered tops/openings are a b*tch to transplant out of. There's no clean way to get a shovel in there down the side under the root ball to kind of lift it out. I would only keep seasonal/one-time plants in this type of container as you might not be able to get root-bound plants out through the narrower opening without yanking hard by the trunk/stem and doing pretty major root trauma.

If it's a tall tube with straight sides top to bottom, that would be easier.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:36PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I think an ideal/optimum container should have equal height and diameter. or kind of a cubical if not round. In containers, the roots don't need to go deep. They need volume. Wider mouth is better than narrow. BUT then a lot of times there isn't much choice. You have to use what is available.

Bookmark   November 2, 2013 at 12:29AM
More Discussions
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
My New Raised Container Garden - Thanks for all the Help
This is really more of a conversational post. No real...
Cliff Pruitt
Buckeye re-potting - Trees in Containers (pics)
Hello and good afternoon, container gardeners! California...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
Potting into Air Pots, root length question
Hello all, My question is, air pots are supposed to...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™