My Night Delight (vi's hot garden)

violetwestJuly 14, 2014

I've been trying hard to capture and share the pleasure my yard gives me in the evenings with only limited success. iPhone pics are great but the night ones not so good.

ETA: GW faked me out. Here's the additional stuff.

I wanted to post these to show that my main use for the function is to enjoy the sunsets and evenings, so an example of designing for function and for a specific site.

Also, a judicious use of lighting can really make a difference. I have two inexpensive solar lights which highlight my desert plants, and my most fave thing ever - the silly fairy lights! (Bliss lights). That thing wasn't cheap, but the amount of pleasure it's given me over the past year is immeasurable.

I love sitting out there and watching the lights come on in the distance over the wall, and the sunsets. And even though you guys made fun of me for my lighted arches idea (not implemented); and even though the yard is still mostly dirt right now, I'm still getting a huge kick out of it.

This post was edited by Violet.West on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 18:09

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
violetwest

Bliss lights in the palo verde

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:02PM
violetwest

The other end

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:04PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance

Looks very nice.

We have city light views, and opted for no solar so we only have lighting when we want. Too much lighting makes the stars hide. We didn't want to pay an electrician, so what did we do?

Started drinking cheap wine for dinner that comes in screw top bottles. We then put an x in the lids, threaded tiki torch wicks through the X, filled the bottles half with water and half with tiki torch fluid. Screwed the cap on, and let there be light! I got this idea on pinterest.

They were amazing on the 4th of July. This year people could actually see the stairs. Wish I had taken photos, but hostesses don't have time for that. Here is just one photo of a test we did. We put most of them in nursery pots with a little dirt for stabilization.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:35PM
violetwest

oh, so cool! and you have water (sigh)

I understand what you mean about the light when you want. Someday I'll put low voltage lighting out there, but for now I'm happy.

Bookmark   July 14, 2014 at 6:52PM
More Discussions
Landscape advice for front yard please!
We have just moved into a house in SoCal - zone 10...
glitzalicious
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
honesthouse
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™