How long does it take...

dan_the_mailmanMay 6, 2008

before I'm not a newbie anymore??? I don't know if I qualify for that title anymore or not. I am experienced here, so no way could I be called a virgin. LOL! After all, I've been "enabled" in many ways these past few months! Not that I'm complaining or whining, oh no! I like being enabled, whether it be a quick trade, or a long-lasting round robin.

And I just know you all are gonna get me to do the winter-sowing thing, I just know it!

-Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

hmm...good question...I joined not soon before you I think..and I've been thinking about winter sowing too..maybe we have to experience our first full year?

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 5:29PM
medontdo(8)

i wasn't a "newbie" after about 2 months, i think, cuz i was trading so much, hmmmm....maybe 3, and i had so many seeds, and it was crazy!! i thought i knew alot!! now, i know nothing, winter sowing is over and guess what?? i have almost no seeds again!! LOL i've enabled alot of people, and now i just have a big bunch of seedlings that need planted. i am in heaven!!! LOL

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 8:32PM
flwrs4ever

I dont know what a "newbie" term is...BUT i DO know that you WANT to winter sow...I have sooo many healthy babies...the roots on some of them at 6 inches long, and the plants are awesome. strong, not falling over..SO YES you need to winter sow !!

I think a newbie should mean you dont have much to trade or share..........if you are trading a lot, and offering seeds for free... then no more newbie..LOL

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 10:03PM
kmpsmom

Come on, Dan, WSing isn't hard AT ALL. I only sowed about 350+ varieties LOL It's just another stage in the obsession...all the ladies here know what I mean, right Medo? That way you don't need a greenhouse to start seeds during the winter and you get to do some plant related stuff over the cold winters. Ann

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 1:26PM
bakemom_gw(z6 Central Ohio)

For the purposes of my project, a newbie is new to growing from seed, new to a particular method (yes, you are WS noobs)or just hasn't grown from seed for a while and needs a jump start.

The reason I call it Newbie isn't to exclude experienced gardeners, but to give seedies a warning that the newbie pack contains some very basic seeds and the packs are my choice (to cut time and confusion).

That's the only reason I limit it, but whether you are a noob, is up to you. I don't care.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 2:53PM
medontdo(8)

i tell ya something about ws dan, its soooo much better than the other stuff cuz when ya put them out, a don't have to put them out for a while,, then bring them in, put them out, and such, cuz they are used to the light already. its plain awesome!! you so know i'm doing this next year!! and you don't have to worry about the room in your house, or gnats or anything else, but some of mine had some moldish on them cuz i got them to wet, and it heated up, but when i went topless, that took care of that!! they sprouted right up!! LOL now all i have to do is worry about all the planting!! but i'm doing that sq ft gardening style. no crab grass.

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 3:38PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

IMHO...a newbie is one whose 'want' list is longer than their have list....among other things.

There's all kinds of newbies...
New to the site, and maybe their first on line gardening site
New to growing from seed
New to Winter Sowing.
New to Spring Sowing
New to collecting seed, via harvest, trading, buying, or replying to free offers.

Sue

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 5:01PM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

still thinking

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 12:20AM
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

Sue that freaked me out...lol...at first I was wondering how in the heck you posted a blank post....lol...white is definitely not a good choice for text color...lol...

Bookmark   May 14, 2008 at 10:18AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Shashito and Habanero pepper seeds.
Let me know what you are interested in and I will send...
gardenprincess
HAVE: seed - will trade for post cards
if you are looking for seed but have little trade I...
woodsidetrader
have periwinkle for purple hyacinth bean seeds
I will send a good amount of periwinkle for 20 or more...
marclesa
Let's Regroup! How About a Roll Call for GW Seed Exchangers?
We can stay in touch if we post our old GW username...
katjaqu
HAVE: Morning Glory tie dye blue
I have added some freshly harvested seeds to my trade...
strmywthr3
Sponsored Products
Peyton Dining Outdoor Side Chair, Patio Furniture
$649.00 | FRONTGATE
Elk Lighting 2H in. Spring Bunnies - 93-9074
$26.00 | Hayneedle
Loft Sectional Sofa
Italy Design
Earth Lotus Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$29.99 | zulily
Titan Lighting Wall Mounted Newlton 1-Light Outdoor Weathered Charcoal Sconce
Home Depot