Eggplant in Containers?

botanicatMay 11, 2011

Can eggplants be grown in containers? And if so, how large should the container be? Also, do you need to grow a low of eggplants to get good pollination or can you grow just 1 or 2 plants? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bomber095(z5b MA)

Absolutely they can! I've been growing eggplants in 5-gallon paint buckets for years. The plants are self-pollinating, and if all goes well, you should expect 4-6 fruit per plant, maybe more.

The thing to remember about eggplants is that they love the heat. The more you can give them, the better.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 9:05AM
botanicat

Thanks for the info, bomber. Here in Georgia finding heat is no problem.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:04PM
aaaaaaaa(6)

In fact, for me it does lot better in containers than in ground.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:24PM
opal52(z7b GA)

Eggplants do very well in containers. I use self watering containers. Have grown in past seasons Black Beauty, Rosa Bianca, and this year I'm trying Early Long Purple Eggplant. These have just started growing quickly now that the weather is getting in the upper 80's. Rosa Bianca Eggplant did almost too good. With just two plants, we were over-run with eggplants. And they kept producing throughout the season. You shouldn't have any trouble growing Eggplants in containers in Georgia. Just have to keep them watered, which is why we use the home made version of Earth Boxes.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 1:14PM
sjkly

I'm growing them in containers 2.5 gallon buckets, and some of the varieties are quite prolific-my largest Ichiban already has 4 developing with more flowers that haven't opened yet.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 4:20PM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

I, too, think they do better in containers than in the ground. With containers, you can change out the soil each year and beat the blasted flea beetles. In addition to plenty of sun and blazing heat, they like steady moisture and regular liquid fertilizer. For my family of three adults, one plant of Pung Tung Long produces way more than we can eat fresh. (Pung Tung is a truly delicious variety that makes long skinny purple fruits.)

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 11:59PM
botanicat

Thanks for all the advice. I suppose Miracle Gro is an okay potting mix to use in pots for this. I have nice plants of Ping Tung and from a pack of mixed eggplants (Millionaire Hybrid, Snowy Hybrid, Rosa Bianca, and Applegreen) that I grew from seeds. I have one in a container and a few others in the garden. If all goes well I should have PLENTY of eggplants for the neighborhood! Now what do I do with all the other ones I don't have space for.....? I had no idea that they would germinate so well.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 5:58AM
opal52(z7b GA)

It seems I always end up with more plants than I have space for because I start seeds for more than I will need thinking I will lose many of them. I have found an easy solution is to put the extra plants at street side out front of our house with a sign "Free Plants". I always clearly label the plants. They are gone within an hour, and sometimes less.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 7:52AM
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Some friends of mine and I organized a plant giveaway last month. (We were all at a point that we needed to use seed or lose it.) We timed it so that the weather was ideal for planting out. We gave away 300 tomato, pepper and eggplants in less than two hours. The wonderful thing was the senior citizens, especially widows. We had a hand-out with detailed info on planting tomatoes in pots. I am getting weekly updates from them and it makes me smile really big! My point is, if you have a church, club, or even a neighborhood, I bet you'll find lots of happy recipients.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 5:30PM
gardenman101(Z6 Spingfield, Ma)

thanks for the info, i will be putting my eggplant in buckest and free up bed space.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 10:58PM
umayamla(7a)

Thanks for the tip about growing them in containers. Last year all my Eggplants failed because they got ravaged by flea beetles and were stunted. I was going to attempt to grow them again in my garden but I think I will just put them in pots and grow them on my balcony. I have some big pots that they should be happy in.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Indoor tomatoes large, planting a month away
I started 10 tomato plants in an aerogarden this year...
Anthony
Building a database - help!
I'm an old geezer trying to learn Libreoffice Base...
vanisle_bc
Cutting seed potatoes, what to expect next?
Hi everyone, I just joined. I have a potato question...
Terese
Tomato plants for zone 7, 4-5 hours full sun
Hi, I live in Baltimore and am looking for recommendations...
scoustenis
Pole Beans in my area Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi everyone! Last season, (I think it was not til around...
nickjoseph
Sponsored Products
Divi Satin Nickel Three-Light Square Canopy Bath Fixture with Silver Dicro Wavy
$517.50 | Bellacor
Arktura | Strand Console
YLiving.com
Herb Pot Duo
$39.99 | Dot & Bo
Edgar Allen Crow Figure
Grandin Road
Leisure Season Raised Planter Box - RPB6107
$161.98 | Hayneedle