Retaining a DG Patio? (on tiny slope)

modern_miss(10A (15 Sunset) SF Bay Area CA)July 15, 2013

I want to install a decomposed granite patio in part of my lawn. The lawn is not perfectly flat, but the patio must be.
There is a 6-8" difference in grade from one end of the patio to the other. I wanted to use the same black metal edge banding to retain the patio (I've used it throughout my property) but it is only 4 inches tall - not enough to act as a mini retaining wall...
Is there anything else I can use in conjunction with the edge banding or independent of it? I don't really want to introduce a new material. Thanks for the advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

It makes a difference if the 6" - 8" grade differential is spread over 8' or 28'. What dimensions of patio will you be creating? Why do you think the patio must be "perfectly flat"? Even a DG patio needs some pitch to drain.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 8:32PM
modern_miss(10A (15 Sunset) SF Bay Area CA)

The dimensions of the patio are 16' x 18'.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:42PM
yardvaark

Could you create the patio as a landing such that at the high end the LAWN is retained by the metal edging and that at the low end the PATIO is retained by same (like it's a step)? That doubles the amount of grade differential you can accommodate with the edging. Combined with pitch of the patio itself (you did not answer that question but you must make drainage right ... or suffer) you should be able to make it work. In other words, at one end of the patio one steps down from the lawn to the patio. At the opposite end one steps down from the patio to the lawn.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 8:41AM
More Discussions
adding curb appeal to our home
Hi, ** I also posted this in the tips and techniques...
aligal266
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
Layout for backyard near house - suggestions
We are wanting to improve on our backyard and create...
lyfia
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™