Strawberry Containers

linchat(10b)October 14, 2008

What is the minimum size container one could use for strawberries? 10"? How many plants to a 36"x8" container?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Where are you located?? I've tried SB several time in the past with just a little success. Best was as a winter crop with June bearers. They HATE the Florida heat lol
gary

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 6:36AM
linchat(10b)

I am in SF, what size pots did you or can you use?

Bookmark   October 16, 2008 at 9:02AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Probably can't be of much help to you as California 10 is sooo much different than Fla.
Have found that it requires about 25/30 plants to get 1 gallon of berries so containers aren't too useful. Have used the mounding method directly in the ground as well as the built up tiered planters. My biggest mistake was using the wrong cultivars as I have no hope of a summer crop due to tthe heat. The everbearers tend to make runners rather than fruit.
Since California is the largest commercial producer in the world I'd check around in your area. How about some of the colleges?? This is where I found my best info for the local area.
This year I'm going with a "straberry jar" that will hold 12 plants ,obviously I'm not going to corner the market lol. But I find the plants ornamental though short lived and get a few at the perfect stage of ripeness..
gary

Bookmark   October 17, 2008 at 5:13AM
liz_h(7/8 DFW Texas)

Gary, have you tried the Eversweet everbearing? They are supposed to do well at temps up to 100F. No personal experience to report though.

Bookmark   October 24, 2008 at 10:45PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Due to the climate here SB is limited to a winter crop .The best weather is Nov. through March. The main problem is not so much the heat but the humidity.
Everbearers tend to produce runners rather than fruit even in winter here . So have huge plants little fruit lol.
The commercial growers here use June bearers They gave me several varieties but have been unable to locate just a few plants . Most sell only 200 of one kind lol.
The local nurseries tend to sell everbearers which are better suited to at least cool winters .
Since florida is the second largest producer of SB there muct be a way lol gary

Bookmark   October 25, 2008 at 6:57AM
liz_h(7/8 DFW Texas)

Considering how easily strawberries mold, the humidity problem makes sense. Maybe you could talk one of your local nurseries into ordering some plants for you.

Bookmark   October 26, 2008 at 4:25PM
More Discussions
Miniature rose plant..
Got this from nursery yesterday .. But something is...
amriteanukul112
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
s501nano
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Sponsored Products
Single Bowl Undermount TruGranite Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Sonoma Oil Rubbed Bronze 2.5-Inch LED One Light Flush Mount Fixture
$198.00 | Bellacor
Slate p508st Single Bowl AstraGranite Sink
PLFixtures
Oval White Ceramic Undermount Bathroom Sink
TheBathOutlet
Area Rug: Morning Vines Crimson/Ivory 2' 6" x 4' 2"
$99.97 | Home Depot