Beginner Q - How to store seed?

di_hJune 4, 2008

Ok so I put some poppy seed pods in a bag, they've all "popped" I separated out the casings and now have a million or so poppy seeds.

Do I need to do anything else to them?

What do I store them in?

sorry for the total beginner question :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

Hi. Never apologize for asking a question! You might find some info on this in the "growing from seed" forum as well. Once my seeds have dried I use either paper coin envelopes or little baggies to store them. I keep those in a big metal art box that I keep in the downstairs fridge. There's some seed varieties that I store in a cool dry room (my laundry room) instead of the fridge. If properly stored most seeds will remain viable for quite some time. there are seeds that need to be planted fresh like adeniums but most seed can be successfully stored.
Karyn

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:31PM
booberry85(5)

You may want to look through the topics in the link below. If you scroll about 2/3 down the list, you'll see poppies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Saving Forum FAQ

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 9:31PM
di_h

Thanks!
Off to put my seeds in paper envelopes :)

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:00PM
ibartoo(z8 sc)

I agree with Karyn, I keep mine in paper ( if possible) and definitely cool storage. Dark is also a plus. Linda

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 10:37PM
musicaldeity

I started with mine in plastic baggies, but now I switched to coin envelopes. They are easy to find at any office supply store. Plus, I write the year on mine and who it came from in a trade (if applicable). I try to plant them soon, and this is my first year trading but I'm going to try and trade off all my old seed before next year (or give it away). That way I replenish with fresh. Though they may be viable for several years, depending on the type, I'm going for a turn around so they are always fresh.

Bookmark   June 6, 2008 at 11:23AM
More Discussions
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5 we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie...
leila hamaya
Requests for Houzz
Houzz, Please fix your app for smartphones to allow...
kchd
Have: New Large List
I have just posted an update seed list I have up for...
LullabyF360
Where may I find my trade list?
I doubt I will be able to figure out this new format...
lindamarie
Updated trade list.
Would love to exchange seeds. Check out my exchange...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™