Help ID fungi in gritty mix?

rubyjchangOctober 24, 2012

Hi,

I have reported on this problem in my mix previously before but it does not seem to be as bad. But now, I pretty frequently see this yellowish roundish growth on some of the barks of the gritty mix. I am rather concerned.

Are these molds harmful? Is it just slime mold?

I don't have an actual picture of the soil but I found a very very similar picture of the fungi growth online.

Please help ID this fungi? Or any tips are welcome! I really don't overwater... around every 3 days for gritty mix is really not overwatering?!...)

Thank you,

Ruby

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marc5(6aOH)

Ruby, are you certain these are fungi and not salts from hard water or fertilizer? If they are salts you may need to flush with distilled water, and in the future use water treated with acid.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:26AM
calistoga_al

Your mix does not look at all like my gritty mix. It looks more like peat than bark. Al

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:13AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Your mix doesn't look anything like mine. Mine has never held any kind of fungus or salts.

It looks like a peat mix. I see no perlite, granite, turface, or bark.

Mike

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 9:56AM
mrlike2u(**)

Hi guys: The soil in the pic isn't a gritty mix and isn't the OP's container. The Aloe is in a sludge peat soil the image is from somebody else and found by the OP.

Hard water calcium build up and/or salts on the surface could be the problem by pooling/perching.
Ruby: Every three days intervals for watering COULD be to often even if it where in a gritty mix. Mike M stated 4 ingredients that can be used in a gritty mix pick any three items he mentioned, sift and rinse them 1/8 inch or larger as a 1-1-1.

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 11:42AM
rubyjchang

mrlike2u,

thank you for clarifying! The picture really ISN'T my gritty mix... that is an online picture found that has a similar problem to mine (the yellowy stuff).

The gritty mix is sifted 1:1:1 at AT LEAST 1/8in or just a tad smaller (bigger than 1/16 for sure). There should not be a watering problem since there is a WICK in place.

I think it is a problem with the bark. Because all of the other pots don't have this problem of fungi. It is just the Michelia which has this problem and the bark in that mix is pine bark that is of a different brand than the Repti Bark of the other plants.

I would like to inquire if anyone knows what type of fungi that would be and if that is something I should be concerned about.

I am positive that it is NOT salt buildup: not at pot rim, or top of soil, but about 2in deep into gritty mix. They are ROUND in shape.

Thank you,
Ruby

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:34PM
rubyjchang

Thank you guys for any help!

Bookmark   October 25, 2012 at 12:35PM
More Discussions
To find popular threads try this...
When you are looking for popular threads from the GW...
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soils
Dealing with Water-Retentive Soilscolor>size> A...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™