Landscaping a 10' Drainage Easement

Bocko242July 3, 2011

Hi my wife and I are building our first home in northern KY and need some advice. There is a 10' drainage easement in the rear of our house. The yard has a slight slope going into the easement but the other side is a pretty steep slope. We probably would have never messed with it, but unfortunately the way that the house is staked and being built there is only 20 paces of yard from the left rear corner to the start of the easement. I am a very novice gardner and landscape expert, but I figured someone would be able to help me with some nice ideas. My wife has come up with some ideas on how to make it look nice, I just don't think they are actually going to work. PLEASE GIVE US SOME TIPS.

Thanks

Steve n Katie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew

Steve, pictures will be a huge help.

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 9:27AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Also helpful would be a diagram of the property -- you probably have a survey diagram or something from the architect/builder showing the house on the lot. You can photocopy that, then add any relevant details. Even a graph paper sketch would be helpful. Show the easement ... the house ... the property lines ... any planned deck or patio, etc.

How deep is the easement at the lowest point compared to your property next to the easement? (Of course, there'll probably be some grading done after the house is completed.)

there is only 20 paces of yard from the left rear corner -- My paces are about 2', but I'm short. Can you convert this to feet?

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 10:07AM
karinl(BC Z8)

Pictures would help a lot and if you post those a diagram may not be needed, but let it depend on what you have and can post. I know it seems like a lot of work, but we can only work with the information we have.

What I think should be considered is how the drainage easement is going to function - how often will it have water, how much, and where does it go.

And finally, why not post your wife's ideas; maybe they will work!

KarinL

Bookmark   July 4, 2011 at 11:30AM
More Discussions
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Landscaping ideas - Need help with suggestions of plants please
We would like to seek help in filling our concrete...
stinerantsen
Sponsored Products
DENY Designs Cayena Blanca Big 2 Outdoor Throw Pillow - 15455-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Wee Paris Twilight Planet Canvas Wall Art by Nikki Smith - 40W x 40H in. Multico
$276.99 | Hayneedle
Dabmar Patina Green Path Light
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
BM4 Bullyte LED Warm Landscape Fixture
Lightology
Kichler Textured Black Cone Low Voltage Landscape Light
Lamps Plus
Red Truck Planter
$39.99 | zulily
LMSW Outdoor Mini LED Step Light Hood Optic
Lightology
Kichler Architectural Bronze Landscape Path Light