Pumpkin Vines

taxtaxJuly 2, 2011

I planted some pumpkins this year as an experiment. They worked well, but like other's have warned, their vines can get very big & long. My problem is they are spilling all over my lawn and I felt pretty guilty today while mowing the lawn, as I kept trimming off the ends of the vines despite trying my best not to.

I'm wondering, would it make any sense to tie these pumpkin vines up to a trellis or something? I know that wouldn't be their natural form, so I don't know if it would do just as much harm...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

You might want to post this in the Pumpkins, Squash & Gourds forum, or the Vegetables forum.

Sure, you can try them on a trellis: maximizing the number of leaves on the vine is always good. If the variety bears
small fruit, you could try letting them hang from the trellis, watching carefully. Or you could play it safe and support the fruit in a sturdy sling hanging from the trellis. I believe I've read about cantaloupes hanging from slings. But larger pumpkins ... I'd want to keep the fruit on the ground.

Another possibility would be re-arranging the vines whenever they crawl onto the lawn.

Disclaimer: while I've grown pumpkins, I've never grown any on a trellis. However, I've grown many a cucumber on a trellis, and also some smallish gourds.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 11:40PM
taxtax

Ok, thanks. This is the problem with too many sub-forms, you get lost on where to post!

Only problem is I haven't ever used a trellis before, so I'll be doing something new all over again, haha.

I'll re-post in the proper section.

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 11:44PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

You are now discovering that sprawling vines and a mowed lawn are incompatible. What will you discover when you tie the vines up a trellis and the vines begin to fruit?

Bookmark   July 2, 2011 at 11:49PM
laag(z6CapeCod)

Sir Issaac Newton stopped growing pumpkins on trellises a long time ago.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 8:14AM
duluthinbloomz4

...when he discovered it wasn't the falling; it was the hard landing.

Small vine varieties are fine for trellises, but the Jack-O-Lantern types would probably find any fruit snapping off at the stems for their sheer weight. Without the aforementioned sturdy slings, anyway.

Bookmark   July 3, 2011 at 11:37AM
Frankie_in_zone_7

Does your garden plot lend itself to your coaxing the vine to grow in circles around it? Sort of like a bad middle-aged hair day. You might not be able to keep multiple vines, but train one or 2. That way you have some scraggly lawn, but just in the perimeter of the veggie garden, & can maybe hand trim a little. Next year, try a different experiment!

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 5:47PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™