Please pick a tree for my front yard...
This is my first post on Gardenweb. I need help picking a tree. The pictures show the site. This is a monumental decision, the tree is viewed from the living room and porch. The tree you recommend will probably outlive me and either resonate positively thru the Ages or will be cursed daily by future generations of homeowners.
Here are some rough specifications:
1) tree location is flexible but previous tree (serviceberry) was 5 feet from porch, 2.5 feet from roof of porch and 8 feet from house (HOUSE FACES EAST)
2) bottom 4 feet of tree are shaded by porch in summer(depending on angle of sun)
3) tree goes in corner made by porch and house (behind weeping white pine in the picture, which could be moved)
4) I water and soil can be moist to well drained
5) some shade for the window in summer is good
I am thinking a maple, they grow well in northern Illinois, and shade on the bottom trunk isn't a problem. The trunk could be attractive and won't block the view. Nice fall color.
I don't know what size, type or shape of tree would look best be in proportion to the house.
If you pick a tree and I like it, I will buy you pizza when you are next visiting Chicago.