omg. just lost my seed trade list....gone

christinmk z5b eastern WAAugust 24, 2010

Sort of freaking out at the moment here...

Ok, earlier today I was on, adding a want to my seed trade list. For some reason the page was not loading when I hit 'submit' (could have been my internet, but don't know for certain). After five minutes of waiting I just ex-ed out of the page.

I go onto my trade list again and part of it is GONE. The 'Want' section of my list is still there, but not my 'Haves'. For some reason my 'Want' in the plant section of my page is gone too (had a only couple things listed).

What in the world happened?! Did it go away because I ex-ed out before it had loaded (although I hadn't added anything to my 'Have's list)? Is GW messing up again or something? I don't imagine there is any way of getting back my list, is there? And to think I had listed almost a hundred and thirty things and was starting to give detailed info on many of them ;-( The worst- I will have to try and recall from memory the harvest dates.

Guess this is a lesson to always keep a back-up copy of it (and to THINK last week I was planning to do just that...)

CMK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buckstarchaser(5 MI)

Yeah, that really sucks. It's not showing your 'haves' for me either.

I suppose I'll probably right click on my desktop and make a new text file. I'll keep all my stuff in there and then when I have new updates ready just copy and paste that stuff to the internet side. That way if either one gets messed up I can copy the one that is still good over the bad one.

Sorry about your loss. It will help me to be more careful though.

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 2:01AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Do not fear...I did a Google search on your member name and your Exchange page came up. I then clicked on the Cached link and it brought up a cached exchange page.
I copied the lists and sent them to you via an email as there is no way to know exactly how long your page will show as it is now in Google cache. I figured it needed copied and pasted somewhere before all was 'really' lost into cyberspace.

I have made Google Documents my friend and now put things there that I used to store on my computer. Having crashed my computer numerous times, and loosing everything, I decided to store 'some' stuff elsewhere.

I use Google docs for my trade list and then can just copy and paste.
I use Google Spreadsheets for listing my daffodil collection, as well as for trade transactions.
I have a folder for recipes too, as well as other 'stuff' and I don't have to worry about any of it being lost, with my next crash, as it is bound to happen sooner or later.

Sue...resident busy body

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Documents and it's FREE!

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 10:31AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

Oh Sue! Thank you so much!!! You are an angel sent from heaven to help clueless people like me!

I think this was a good lesson for me about saving anything important to me from GW. I'm really going to have to look into that Google Documents...
THANK YOU SUE!!
CMK

Bookmark   August 24, 2010 at 11:44AM
kilngod z6b(Zone 6b)

Rock On, Sue! That was awesome.

Bookmark   August 25, 2010 at 7:22AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

You're welcome...glad to help.

Over the years I've learned a few little tips and tricks lurking and searching at The Computer Help Forum

I noticed you didn't update your Plant WANTS, and I still have it saved in the email I sent you...I assume you just chose to not update that portion of your list at this time. Is it safe for me to delete the email with the Plant WANTS info?

Sue

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Using bubble envelopes
Please, please, please, use bubble envelopes when shipping...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
Have to trade
Large Barred Boar Tomato seeds
riggson3
WANTED: Green Envy zinnias
My daughter has a passion for flowers, she's 12 and...
sunsetfarm
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5 we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie...
leila hamaya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™