cracking saucers

leeelsonOctober 15, 2013

We have a small lemon tree indoors in a large clay container. Underneath the container is a plastic saucer. Due to the weight of the container (~75 lbs) the plastic saucer has cracked. The replacement saucer also cracked so I'm looking for a clay (terracotta, ceramic, whatever) version that has more structural strength. There's no risk of freeze cracking of course.

None of the local nurseries or big box stores seem to carry this and I can't find it online. Anyone know of a source? I'm in Nevada.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oxboy555(Las Vegas)

Can't you put your lemon tree outside in the sun from say March through November? Keeping citrus indoors spring through fall is cruel and unusual punishment. :) If you could put it outside, you could maybe find a place on bare dirt or gravel so the draining water can just leave the pot and soak in...no saucer needed.

Big clay/ceramic saucers are terribly unwieldy and easily crackable. Wait until your first attempt to plop your 75lb pot down on that saucer...you may end up cracking both the pot and saucer. They also erode/leak over time believe it or not.

I live in Vegas and get my saucers from Star Nursery. I get those tough composite ones that feel like really strong plastic.

Bookmark   October 15, 2013 at 5:18PM
More Discussions
CRF burn if 5-1-1 sits a while?
I have some 5-1-1 that was fully made, including CRF...
hairmetal4ever
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Repotting into 5-1-1 soil. Questions about 511 materials.
Hey all! I am a newbie with 5 container citrus. Right...
emilygreenie
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™