Dillema with my retaining wall

BarkyardJuly 28, 2012

Over a year ago we had a new yard put in, but the new yard is about 6 inches lower than the old one was. This created a problem as we now have dirt and tarp exposed below the retaining wall that we've always had. I was hoping someone could offer advice on what to do to cover up the tarp.

At first we were considering moving the wall a foot forward but that would be too much labor, as the wall is over 100 feet long. Another idea was to install a smaller wall in front of the current one, and have a small garden bed running the length of the wall, in sort of a step design, lower level in front of the upper level.

I am open to any and all suggestions. I am hoping to avoid installing another wall as I'm hoping there is a fix to this that will be a little bit cheaper. Thanks ahead of time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Of all the retaining walls I've seen, I've never seen one with a tarp at the base. Could you explain the purpose of it?... and the construction method so we'd know what we're dealing with? Who built the wall and how long has it been there? What is the material? Does it have a footing? How deep? It it dry laid? Are you looking for the real fix... or a fix that might get by for 5 years?

Bookmark   July 29, 2012 at 12:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aloha2009

As Yardvaark asked, long or short term?

In the short term, you could plant a flower border in the front. With the mulch already in place, it shouldn't be too much of a bother and should look cute.

In the long term, this needs to be fixed. Though you are low by at least 6" (base should at least be partially buried), can you bring in many tons of dirt into the yard. You would have to ensure you have the minimum slope away from your house and patio. If you have a sprinkler system already in place, you'd have to extend each riser.

Another option would be to redo the wall and start over. It crappy when things aren't done correctly but when it comes to homeownership we've seen a lot of things we just shake our head and get out the tools.

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 5:05PM
More Discussions
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™