Hibiscus help..please

beverlysc(8a SC)August 22, 2009

I planted seeds that were supposed to be white texas star hibiscus and when they bloomed this week they turned out to be burgundy...not white. The plant reached almost 8 feet tall and has leaves like a texas star hibiscus. The flower looks like a Lord Baltimore but it's burgundy..not red. If anybody knows what this is please let me know. Many thanks and happy gardening. Bev.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
medontdo(8)

if you send me a pic, i could post if for ya, :') heck, you could send it to yourself, and then post it. **grin** i want to see it, its got to be gorgeous!! **big smile** ~medo

Bookmark   August 22, 2009 at 10:12PM
medontdo(8)

this is bev's hibiscus, very gorgeous!!! i so, want her!!! **grin** :') ~medo

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 12:16AM
beverlysc(8a SC)

Got an email from a lady named Kristi and she thinks it's a Hibiscus cannabinus kenaf. Looked it up and it sure does look like the ones posted in Daves garden. Many thanks. Bev.

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 9:27AM
medontdo(8)

boy that sure is a beauty!! i was looking at it last night, and WOW!! i think, she will look good on the north side, so suni can see the blooms!! **big smile** do the hummingbirds go for it? i still have to get me more hummingibrd plants!! my goal is to have a huge hummingbird garden for her!! **big smile** ~medo

Bookmark   August 23, 2009 at 5:41PM
ladebugz(9)

Oh you just have to love genetics!! Which is why your white flower seeds produced a burgundy/gorgeous flower. In order to get true to type you have to do stem cuttings. Otherwise you cant tell what genes will be dominant. I have the white texas star, and am saving seed. I hope I can get the results you did! That is awesome!!

Bookmark   August 25, 2009 at 7:30AM
More Discussions
Have lots of seeds for trade for these:
I am looking for the following seeds Barbarea, variegated Heliopsis...
conniesc
Want: Great White tomato. Have: tomatoes (list inside)
I had a trade for some Great White seeds, but it looks...
muffypuffie
Using bubble envelopes
Please, please, please, use bubble envelopes when shipping...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
Want: Sorrel Have: Thai holy Basil for trade
I love to trade Sorrel, Large Leaf or any type of Sorrel...
pat44th
WANTED: Green Envy zinnias
My daughter has a passion for flowers, she's 12 and...
sunsetfarm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™