Mints

machette(6)August 31, 2009

This past spring, I moved some Catnip [a member of the mint family] from my parents home to mine. This was simple enough and it grew beautifully.

This summer I was walking around a hay field behind my home and found a lot of wild mint, aka Field Mint or Corn Mint.

Yesterday, my daughter and I went for a walk in the hills behind my parents home and I found another member of the mint family, but I am not sure what it is. It was about 24 inches tall, with elongated, pointed end, smooth leaves. I rubbed in between my hands and smelled it and it reminded me of a mix of peppermint and spearmint. Could this be Mountain Mint aka Wild Basil, Virginia Thyme?

Like the Wild Mint, I saved a sample of it for seed, and like all of the other members of the mint family I have seen it has very small [tiny] black seeds that grow from thick hairy flower clusters on the top of the plant. but these flower clusters are larger than any I have seen to date. They are even larger than those of catnip.

I did not have my camera with me, and did not get a photo, and I am sorry for that, but my main questions are what is it, and was saving the seed worth the effort?

Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
medontdo(8)

what color are the flowers? that might help some? not sure but may! LOL **big smile** ~medo

Bookmark   August 31, 2009 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
HAVE: My lists are updated! Mostly flowers. Let's trade!
All lists are updated except for the "Have Plants"...
lisa_1968
I need seeds for my new garden!!
Hello. My name is Julie and I love gardening, we moved...
maxjulie20
NEWBIE ALERT! How do I get started when I have no seeds to trade ?
Anyone just want to share seeds for a SASE??
Mechelle Dunn
Have: Updated Seed List
Wow...was I surprised about the change! And without...
Matthew Condon - Indiana.Matt - IN, Zone 5/6
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™