Anyone else having to put gardening aside due to canning?

Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)August 30, 2008

Sheesh...I wanna go out and play, yet the produce needs put up now!

I'm so behind on even answering emails, getting some things out for postage (Yikes...members prepaid a week or two ago), and even responding to some seed trades I posted to.

I'm being a real deadbeat, but it sure is not by choice.

Hopefully here in the next few days, I will get a reprieve and get to do some much needed GW catching up. As it is, I just stop by here briefly when on break from things.

This morning it is salsa, and then on to the beans I broke into the night last night...and then there are maters that are getting very ripe on a table outside, and more to be picked again! When will this madness end?

Anyone else in my predicament?

If I owe you an email reply, or responded to a trade post, please know I will indeed get back in touch with you all...hopefully here soon.

Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

I'm hoping to be in that predictment next year when I plant a veggie garden. Of course, Sue, then I'll have to bug you about how to can..."G"

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 11:56AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

I'll gladly try and help. I suggest you getting one of the newer Ball Blue Books that covers canning, freezing, and preserving. It might make some good wintertime reading as you 'plan' out all the goodies you plan to plant next season.

So far today I have done a batch of salsa, 14 quarts of green beans, and now have another batch of salsa cooking and about 16 quarts of tomatoes cooking. Buckets are washed and jars are ready. I guess I could go pick more maters, but then I would have to 'deal' with them.
I wanna get this stuff done, so I can later spray some round-up. I don't want to spray until I am all done handling any produce or utensils in any way...sigh. Guess I could also go and water something...or pick the grapes...sigh

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 6:07PM
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

hmmm..maybe wine out of the grapes..."G"

Bookmark   August 30, 2008 at 9:45PM
chrizty

luky sue! i miss canning.
i made my garden bigger this year but not getting enough for canning. not one green pepper yet:(

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 12:04PM
remy_gw

Hi Sue,
I am behind due to canning and preparing for the tomato party!
I've done salsa and blackberry jam. I'm doing hot pepper jam tommorrow. Plus I have to do tomatoes tomorrow too. Oh I need to save tomato seeds too!
Remy

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 9:45PM
dorisl(5)

I think the squirrels and bunnies got more to can than I do.

some pickles maybe...

:)

Bookmark   August 31, 2008 at 11:41PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Galbanum seeds
I'm interested in seeds of aromatic “Galbanum,”...
ansarac951
HAVE: Seeds! Seeds! Seeds!
I've adding many new seeds to my trading list within...
EricaBraun
KatJaqu's GardenWeb Exchange Page
Seeds I have to trade: Autumn Rainbow Earth Tone Dent...
katjaqu
Lots of seeds to trade
I normally do trades of 15-20 seeds, so if you want...
slm2118
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™