Whats the best retaining wall to use with a clay bank

L AJuly 30, 2013

Behind the house I'm building (we are building in a hill) the land goes upward at at a 60 degree angle. It is terraced once. Up 7-8 feet, then flattens out then up again 7-8 feet. It is a clay. We are afraid of erosion as the whole area was cleared and there is no plant material at all in it and when wet it turns soupy. We don't want it to slide into the house. We were just going to sod it but I think we should have a retaining wall.
Also there are springs on the land and we are trying to ditch it properly as some water is running down over this bank and toward foundation.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Because I have experience with hilly clay soils with springs oozing through them and 'perched water tables" which generally accompany such formations I am trying to figure out a way to answer this question nicely.

This is a situation where someone with local knowledge of the area geology and native plants should have seen this land while it was in its natural state. Were there trees, shrubs and certain types of native plants which indicate wet situations growing on the slope? Were some leaning which would indicate that the clay bank was slipping and moving. If this clay bank was fully vegetated whose idea was it to clean it off?

Guess I have to take this question step by step. Pictures would help, please.

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Need help with plant selection....
Any ideas of what plants I can plant between the dark...
Roy_R
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™