Repotting Stressed Ficus Bonsai

KrisenrOctober 29, 2011

Hey All,

I received a ficus from an online shipper about a week ago. It had a couple yellow leaves when it arrived, i thought nothing of it. The plant arrived in it's pot, but the soil was literally dripping wet. It still hasn't dried much at all and more leaves are changing from green to yellow and falling off.

I have some gritty mix on hand, should I do a full repot now? If not, what should I do.

-Kris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Kris - I would pull it from the pot & set it on newspaper until it (the newspaper) wicked the excess moisture from the pot. If it's horribly root bound, I would pot up into a similar soil and nurse it through the winter. Some folks over on the houseplant forum advise misleadingly that you can repot houseplants any time (with impunity), or that repotting in the spring is a good practice; but winter and spring are the two worst times to repot or do any serious pruning above or below the soil line on houseplants. That work is best done when the plants are full of reserve energy and will have plenty of time (good light/long days) to recover after the work. Around Father's Day, a little earlier or a little later - depending on how far N or S you are, is a good time to repot any houseplants that aren't specifically 'winter growers'.

Let me know how the roots look & we'll figure out the best plan.

Al

A willow leaf/narrow leaf Ficus just before pruning operations:

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 11:34AM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

Kris - also see the thread I'm linking you to below.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: May be of additional interest. Click me!

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 12:08PM
Krisenr

Thanks for the advice Al. The roots aren't dead, but the soil is definitely way to saturated. It's sitting on news paper now.

The roots are wrapped around the pot, it came out easily in one piece from the pot. I'm in Brooklyn, NY, pretty much as south as you can get in NYC (right by the Verrazano Bridge, if you'd like to google map it).

I'll take a look at the link and respond there.

Bookmark   October 30, 2011 at 2:23PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Cor-ten planters safe for growing edibles?
I'd like to grow some edibles but the best sun is in...
midwestgal67
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
PVC liner OK for growing food?
A contractor friend of mine made me a planter box to...
gourdo1
Container gardening
My clivia, 20-30 yr old lives in a pot, maybe 15 gal....
josephene_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™