What can I do under 16 x 16 high deck??

beginner_landscaperJuly 15, 2007

Hi. We've lived in our house now for 2 years, and have tried unsucessfully to get grass seed / hydroseed to grow under our 16x16 deck. It grows in, at best, thin and spotty, and is just mostly mud/dirt. The area has shade pretty much constantly. I'm wondering if sod would take in this area? If not, what can I do with this area? I'd like to be able to put table/chairs under this high deck, but I don't want it in mud and can't afford the $3000 minimum quote I got for a patio installation!! I don't think I could install a patio on my own. I've heard that pea gravel is a bad idea, and mulch also. Is there no semi-quick, semi-easy fix?? Please help - and advice is much appreciated!!!! Thx. JD

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zone_8grandma

My hairdresser (who weighs about 120 lbs) recently installed a flagstone patio by herself. The flagstone cost her about $600. Other costs included sand and some plants she planted in between the flagstone. It looks georgeous. I'm going over there Thursday and could take a photo if you want more information.

DH and I plan something similar underneath our deck. Although we have no experience, I think we could do an adequate job.

Here's a post from a gardenwebber

Here is a link that might be useful: How to intall a flagstone path or patio

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 8:35AM
busyd95

No grass will grow, sodded or otherwise. Do you really want to try pulling chairs under a table thru gravel of any sort?

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 1:20PM
diggerb2(z5oh)

Is the area level?
what about decking the area? or portable decking squares?
with pressure treated lumber you could build right on the ground and it would last about 10-15 years-- enought time to save the money to put in a paved area.

Bookmark   July 16, 2007 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™