Al. I have a question about PWT? Thank you

meyermike_1micha(5)October 14, 2011

Hey Al!

I was wondering. Will filing the bottom of a deep container with those clay balls for hydroponic growing, you know, the ones about 1/4 inch big or even broken clay pot pieces help one to avoid a PWT with the mix above these. Could there be any benefit to this?

Then if the roots decide to grow into the clay with some mix that falls through, it would still be just moist with no PWT?

I would assume that clay will absorb the water right out of any mix like a wick does, no?

Thanks a bunch

Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

A layer of Hydroton on the bottom of containers would be about the same as a layer of marbles of the same size. Initially, when they were dry, they'd absorb some water, but after they were wet, they'd remain saturated. If the layer was shallow, it would have no impact on reducing the ht of the perched water table & probably nearly no impact on o/a water retention. If the layer was deep, soil would probably rest on top of the layer & cause the PWT to be even taller than w/o the Hydroton. They wouldn't have any notable impact on drainage (flow through rates), and if you were just looking for ballast to reduce o/a water retention, marbles or stones (something not internally porous) would actually be a better choice.

Al

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 7:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
meyermike_1micha(5)

Thank you Al

Mike

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Any issues planting in copper pots?
I have some old copper containers I want to use for...
garden_dogs
Need help!..white spots on my lemon seedlings!!
I recently found white spots on the leaves of my lemon...
Kavitha Raghunath
Aglaonema - help
I bought this red aglaonema couple of months back....
bluehaven_gweb
What's eating/happening to my bougainvillea?!?!?!
The leaves are being scaled and then turing brown with...
ninetyfivem3
Pine Bark Fines Substitute?
I'm having trouble finding pine bark fines for the...
johnweh
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™