Pami pebble instead of pea gravel or mulch for kids play area?

skooAugust 12, 2014

Has anyone used pami pebble as ground cover for a small area that will be used for a kid's play house or structure? I've seen some posts discussing pea gravel vs. mulch or tanbark, but I can't seem to find anything about whether pami pebble would be suitable?

Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marcinde(7)

Had to look up pami pebbles, never heard of them.

If kids are just walking around or playing in it I can't see where it would matter. The difference comes if they're potentially jumping or falling into it. There's a table that breaks down the various materials (link below)

Anecdotally, I'm not a fan of pea gravel for kids' play areas. We had a fancypants play area built when I was in elementary school and the flooring material was 5" of pea gravel. One got good at surreptitiously picking it out of one's legs during class post-recess to avoid getting sent to the nurse's office. No kid likes hydrogen peroxide.

Here is a link that might be useful: fall table, more info

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 9:02AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_hammer

If there is a fall zone, because the structure is elevated you should have engineered wood fiber mulch as a cushion and the depth of it is based on the height of the fall and the age group. If this is a playhouse sitting on the ground, I'd still recommend the engineered wood fiber mulch or you can get interlocking pervious epdm tiles which are clean, safe, and easy to wash. Peastone of any kind wouldn't be an option.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 9:07AM
More Discussions
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™