has anyone else ever.....

lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)September 4, 2008

has anyone else ever gathered SEEDS from gladiolas? I noticed seed pods on mine and when I took them apart, there were seeds. I only thought glads mulitiplied through bulbs.."feeling really stupid"....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

hmmm...no, did not know that....but is doing a search I found this from the link below.

The gladiolus is easily raised from seeds, which should be sown in March or April in pots of rich soil placed in slight heat, the pots being kept near the glass after they begin to grow, and the plants being gradually hardened to permit their being placed out-of-doors in a sheltered spot for the summer. Modern growers often grow the seeds in the open in April on a nicely prepared bed in drills about 6 in. apart and 2 in. deep, covering them with finely sifted gritty mould. yada, yada, yada.

If there are any in bloom yet, you might get a pic, to post when you go to trade them...hint, hint.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Gladiolus

Bookmark   September 4, 2008 at 10:14PM
medontdo(8)

i know that when i pull mine up, there are tiny little bulbs, about the size of peas, they are mini bulbs. and yep, you can replant them next year, assuming that they make it there, LOL and no bugs get them, LOL ummmm...bugs got mine, so this year i'm leaving mine in the fridge or something, i don't know how to store them. also, you get seeds where the bloom was. let it dry all the way. and those are great!! they are awesome producers!! ~Medo

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 1:16AM
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

yep Medo, that's where the seeds were...

Sue, I totally stripped the glads of all seeds before even thinking of taking a pic.."sigh"..BUT..I will have them for trade..."G" Thanks for the info!

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 7:58AM
dorisl(5)

I got some of those in a trade thisyear, they sprouted like mad!

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 8:30AM
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

wow, at least we know they'll grow now!

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 10:42AM
medontdo(8)

yep!! :') next year i'll have so many!! LOL but i want the pretty one's, so far i only have the red one's. i wanted the pretty colors, danged it!! i gave mine in the rr to em. she's so sweet!! i really like her!! i havent talked to her in ages!!
next year i want TONS of them, all different colors, i notice that the dragon flies flock to them. so i plan to have bunches. also, they like to rest on the green bamboo sticks.
its so cute!! i don't know why them particular one's but its just cute!! LOL ~Medo

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 11:51PM
lindaruzicka(Z6 PA)

I think these are either green glads or lavendar. The green ones are awesome!

Bookmark   September 7, 2008 at 3:57PM
More Discussions
Need vege seeds to get me started
In search of vegetable seeds. Kale,spinach,radishes,etc...
dkkemp
HAVE: Newbie Seed Project 2015! packs available
the generous donations keep coming in. Right now, I...
bakemom_gw
Wanted: White Hummingbird Vine
I have the red version but would like the white. If...
lady_alicia Zone 5/6 PA
Want: Clitoria ternatea Butterfuly Pea Double Blue & Barbara's Buttons
I would really like to trade for 2014/2015 seeds of...
ruthz
HAVE: seed - will trade for post cards
if you are looking for seed but have little trade I...
woodsidetrader
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™