Potato Germination

heirloomjunkie(5a)May 11, 2011

I recently planted Kennebec potatoes that I had chitted for about a week. I planted them outside about a week ago, but so far, none of them have broken the soil. How long do these usually take? I can't seem to find a timeline for this anywhere, and I'm getting antsy.

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Patience.

Dan

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 10:20AM
ltilton

I planted mine in March, they're just breaking through the straw now.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 11:09AM
diggity_ma(5 MA)

Definitely, patience is rewarded. Potatoes, perhaps more than any other veggie I can think of, have their own internal clock. They do what they want, when they want, and there's really not much you can do to alter it. I'm in zone 5 too (MA), and I just saw the first of mine break the surface yesterday.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Imperative

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:16PM
heirloomjunkie(5a)

Good to know. I did just find a link that something about two weeks to germinate. But like you said diggity, there probably are a lot of factors to consider. :) Just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I will sit back and relax now. Thanks!

Kim

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 1:05PM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just one little nit pick. Potatoes don't actually 'germinate' (unless you've sown seeed from the tomato like fruits). They aren't seeds even though they are called 'seed' potatoes.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 11:38AM
noki

Yes, if planted deep enough and soil warmed some will take about 2 weeks before you see any sign. It is really hard to screw up potatoes.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 12:24PM
COCO-ONO

I planted in March as well....not a sign of potato anywhere. Worse, I used a method where I plant them in 12 inch holes, which keep getting filled with dirt in all the rain. AHHH! Worst idea ever. I bet I've re-dug those holes every 3rd day for 2 months now. Never again.

Tomorrow I plan on digging at least one of the seed potatoes up to see if anything is happening. I might just replant and hope I at least get little new potatoes, even if they wont have time to fully develop :(

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 10:17PM
ltilton

That's one of the benefits of growing them in straw. You can push it aside in spots to check if the sprouts are developing as they ought.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 10:08AM
candogal(5b)

Ack! Now this thread has me more concerned. My kids decided they wanted to grow potatoes and sweet potatoes this year - they know I'm a softie for any garden thing. ("It's not me getting more gardening stuff, hon, it's the kids!") We don't really have space for potatoes, but I read a great article in Organic Gardening magazine and decided to get those potato grow bags.

Only problem is, I didn't pay attention to planting schedules. Gosh, potatoes need to go out early! I had so much going on this year my seed starting was a challenge to get done, too. Am I too late? I just got some seed potatoes at my fave garden store yesterday, cut them like Ed Smith told me (Veggie Gardener's Bible), and they are curing near a window. Last frost is May 21st-ish, and first frost is Sept 11-21st. It's not like I have a huge season, anyway. I did get early potatoes at least.

I'm always up for an experiment, so this is fun no matter what. But it would be nice to get potatoes, too. I'd also love to hear suggestions for soil for my grow bags. In containers I usually do Tapla's 5:1:1 mix for annual things. But I'm not sure how the ph works out. I'm even more confused about the sweet potatoes (slips coming after the LF), because don't those want really acidic soil?

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:34PM
heirloomjunkie(5a)

Looks like I have potato leaves coming up. Yay! Sorry, flora, I didn't know what other term to use beside "germinate". :) I can see tiny leaves coming up now, and they have been in the ground for about two weeks.

I checked on them yesterday. In some cases, the potatoes were actually sticking out of the ground a bit. I buried those things like four inches deep! But maybe the rain washed some of the soil away.

Kim

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 3:01PM
COCO-ONO

candogal,
Seeing as you already have the potatoes and the bags you might as well try it, you wont be any further than me. I just dug out one of my potatoes to look at it and it looks exactly like it did when I planted!!! My last frost is usually May 7th (not this year, its been so cold and rainy)!!!! I bet I dont see green shoots poking up for another 2-3 weeks!

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 8:30PM
spiced_ham(z5 OH)

Potatoes can go in early but they don't have to go in early. Really hot weather will cut down on tuber formation, so if you are in the South that will be a problem. Late spring planting will also get the tubers to emerge faster than if they are planted in March/April and sit in cold soil.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 9:40PM
bsntech(5b)

I planted both Kennebec and Yukon Gold.

It took about 19 days for the first couple of Kennebec potatoes to come up. 100% of them came up within 25 days.

The Yukon Gold seemed to take longer. Only about half of those have germinated - and they started germinating about 23 days after they were planted (day 27 today).

Here is a link that might be useful: My Garden Blog

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 8:08PM
nygardener(z6 New York)

Moose Tubers recommends planting when the soil is 55 to 60 degrees. During this cold and wet early spring, our soil has stayed pretty cool. I'm planning to plant next weekend, along with other veggies that need 60 degree temps for germination.

I guess that does mean that if summer heats up quickly, the potatoes won't have a very long growing season. But I didn't want to put them in the ground to sit and, possibly, rot. In any case, our last frost date is about June 6, and I was also concerned that any early sprouts might take a frost.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 9:54PM
More Discussions
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
fertilizer for tomatoes
are tomatoes heavy feeders ? some say fertilize other...
westlaketomatoqueen
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™