Ugly area of yard, need help!

katrina_ellenAugust 22, 2012

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the home I am in and working on the landscaping, if thats what you want to call it. There is a large blue spruce in my back yard, and behind that up to the back fence line is my weed breeding grounds. Its only about 20ft. wide and about 3ft. deep at most. There are some ugly trees on my neighbors side of the chain link fence line so the ground is uneven with tree roots in the center of this area. I am into low maintenance and have dug out a large circular area under the blue spruce that follows the shape of it and mulched it. I also mulched around the sides of the garage, but I don't think mulching this area would look right. I am wondering if I should improve the soil and plant grass, or plant some type of border of plants along the fence line. Any suggestions for this area to improve the looks and take it from eyesore to OK? Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

It can be very difficult to get anything to establish with the tree root competition you describe. Someone else may post some appropriate plant suggestions, but in any case, adding more organic material, such as compost, and mulching deeply will be beneficial, with or without new plantings.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katrina_ellen

Thanks catkim.
Since the area is full of roots from the blue spruce and my neighbors yard, perhaps a different landscaping material I can put on that would be diffentiated from mulch since the area is dry it wouldn't take a lot to clear it. Or a groundcover that would crowd out the weeds and add some green. Perhaps liriope or some other grass like groundcover thats less invasive-I don't know if that would want to take over the yard? Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
To fence or not to fence
Greetings, I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife...
rick777
What can I put here for privacy
I bought this house 18 months ago and I'm not certain...
Carlton Clay
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
midwestmelissa
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™