Ugly area of yard, need help!

katrina_ellenAugust 22, 2012

Hi all,

I am fairly new to the home I am in and working on the landscaping, if thats what you want to call it. There is a large blue spruce in my back yard, and behind that up to the back fence line is my weed breeding grounds. Its only about 20ft. wide and about 3ft. deep at most. There are some ugly trees on my neighbors side of the chain link fence line so the ground is uneven with tree roots in the center of this area. I am into low maintenance and have dug out a large circular area under the blue spruce that follows the shape of it and mulched it. I also mulched around the sides of the garage, but I don't think mulching this area would look right. I am wondering if I should improve the soil and plant grass, or plant some type of border of plants along the fence line. Any suggestions for this area to improve the looks and take it from eyesore to OK? Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

It can be very difficult to get anything to establish with the tree root competition you describe. Someone else may post some appropriate plant suggestions, but in any case, adding more organic material, such as compost, and mulching deeply will be beneficial, with or without new plantings.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 10:47AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katrina_ellen

Thanks catkim.
Since the area is full of roots from the blue spruce and my neighbors yard, perhaps a different landscaping material I can put on that would be diffentiated from mulch since the area is dry it wouldn't take a lot to clear it. Or a groundcover that would crowd out the weeds and add some green. Perhaps liriope or some other grass like groundcover thats less invasive-I don't know if that would want to take over the yard? Just a thought.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 11:10AM
More Discussions
Landscape Designer or Landscape Architect?
Can anyone tell me what is the difference? I am considering...
forensicmom
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Sponsored Products
Hubbardton Forge Ondrian Burnished Steel 6-Light Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Serena & Lily Playa Stripe Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Blue & Sky Penguin Angelou Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Siesta Lounge Chair by Twist Lighting
$1,043.20 | Lumens
Design House 512616 Cameron 2-Light Ceiling Mount - Oil Rubbed Bronze Finish - 5
$98.99 | Hayneedle
Persian Lava Veg Dyed Heriz Serapi Hand Knotted Wool 3'x8' Floral Area Rug H5588
BH Sun Inc
Fuse Adjustable Armless Bar Stool in Black
$129.00 | LexMod
Super Duty Casa Marseille Bronze 4-Piece LED Landscape Set
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™