Why does our Dianthus 'Sooty' not bloom?

agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)October 7, 2009

Hi all! I was wondering if anyone has had this experience before. Michelle,jacoblily,and myself ws'ed Dianthus 'Sooty' last season expecting blooms this year. Well we both are having the same experience,they aren't blooming! The plants are strong and growing great,but no blooms! I sowed another marked only "black Dianthus" and they bloomed like crazy,they are located right next to my 'Sooty'.Anyone have a clue to what maybe going on here? Any help would be very much appreciated! :)

~Angie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SusanC(9b/10a Sunset 17)

I'd like to know too. I started mine in 2007 and still haven't gotten blooms. I have been wondering if it is in too much shade; It gets about 5 hours of direct sun.

Bookmark   October 7, 2009 at 12:56PM
squirrelspur(6B/7A NC)

Mine is in full sun and it blooms every year in the spring.

squirrel

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 6:39AM
christinmk z5b eastern WA

I have one planted in part shade. It is a bit dry there (need to move it...) but blooms very well every spring.

Sometimes there is isn't any good reason why a plant does not bloom. I had the same trouble with a Phlomis (not even started from seed, but a nursery plant); it did not bloom for three years. Then I moved it this spring and it bloomed. Lol, go figure!

Give it another year. If it doesn't bloom by then you should consider moving it.
CMK

Bookmark   October 8, 2009 at 2:26PM
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

Thanks for your responses. I think we are going to just let them be and see what happens. It is so strange to me,they both are getting plenty of sun,and we have never had an issue with dianthus blooming before! Who knows! Thanks again!
~Angie

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 9:33AM
medontdo(8)

how about fertilizer, or the bloom stuff angie? does it have enough? i give my stuff in the spring one gallon of tea made with real sugar. and also one tablespoon of epson salt. huge heaping!! i do that with my roses and all of my plants. they absolutely LOVE it!! **big smile** ~medo

Bookmark   October 22, 2009 at 1:22AM
ishareflowers

Add me to the list of non blooming dianthus sooty, I thought it was me!

Lisa

Bookmark   October 24, 2009 at 9:29AM
More Discussions
Traders -> Now ANYONE can message you!
Go to https://www.houzz.com/editProfile Edit Profile...
phylis
organizing your seeds
Ok. Another question from this newby. How do you oldtimer...
gardenmom2
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check someone's profile page, you will see a...
Tamara
Want: Sorrel Have: Thai holy Basil for trade
I love to trade Sorrel, Large Leaf or any type of Sorrel...
pat44th
Wanted Nemophila Penny black
I'm very interested in finding these seeds for trade....
tamela_star
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™