2010 Summer Squash Trials

deanriowa(4b)May 28, 2010

I was planning on doing summer squash trials this summer to find a couple good varieties, and then a seed company asked me to do some summer squash trials for them as well. It appears I will have 18 different varieties and will be growing out 2+ plants of each. I had wished that the squash they sent would not included so many Hybrids, as I have been trying to go 100% heirloom and these are the only hybrids I am growing this season. It should be fun!

Seed Company Varieities:

Cavili(F1)

Greyzinni(F1)

Kveta

Mutabile

Sunny SuperSett(F1)

Y Star(F1)

Yugoslavian Finger Fruit

My Varieties

Bianco di Palermo

Cocozelle(Zuc) - Cucurbita pepo

Costata Romanesca

Early Yellow Straightneck

Golden Zucchini

Round de Nice

Sakiz

Striata de Italia

Tatume

White Bush Lebanese

White Bush Scallops

I will be the most hated man in town if they see me coming with a grocery sack. :)

I guess I need to review all possible recipes for them. Looks like grilled, fried, baked, stuffed, and pickled all summer and I did find an English recipe involving hollowing out larger squash and making Marrow wine/rum.

Dean

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

You can come to my town anytime. I have two big freezers and 3 hungry people and lots of friends.

Is Sunny SuperSett a yellow crooknet or a yellow zucchini?

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 10:05AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anney(Georgia 8)

Dean

I hope you're prepared for the onslaught of squash pests! If you plant them, they will come....

I planted only two squash this year, a Caserta hybrid zucchini, and a patty-pan hybrid.

Pretty impressive, I think! The big one's the Caserta, while the patty pan is small and to the left of it. I wasn't terribly smart about where I put the Caserta (right next to the patty pan), but I suppose I'll know better next year.

I went out this morning and picked nine 6-7 inch Casertas, some of which I think had not pollinated well, and I saw one cuke beetle and one squash bug on the plant. I planted the patty pan a month after the Caserta, since I plan to use the Caserta zucchini as a trap crop for cuke beetles that might otherwise damage the patty pan.

I was able to kill both insects, but that was only one apiece. I'm not worried about the cuke beetles, think I have a surefire way to keep them controlled, but I'm not confident about the squash bugs at all. I hate those buggers.

If you'd like some Caserta squash seeds to plant some distance away from your trials, just email me. I can send you enough to keep the cuke beetles busy, since they apparently really prefer the Casertas to most other squash and cucurbits. Can't help with the SVB or the squash bugs though.

Bookmark   May 28, 2010 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Placement of soaker hoses
Hi everyone :) I just started a new veg patch. I made...
mystmaiden
WHO calls Roundup a probable carcinogen
Very interesting... I tend to remain neutral towards...
Peter (6b SE NY)
Will I be too late to start a vegetable garden for the summer?
Hello! My husband and I will be moving from Florida...
merritt623
weed or seedling
In the area of this seedling my daughter put radish...
sepulvd
Need advice on setup
I am in charge of a community garden at my place of...
Brandon Smith
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™