The growing season is really over

kms4meNovember 9, 2010

Most of the vegetation has been cut back, with the exception of those laden with seeds for the birds, or those with particular winter interest. I have started putting pot shards over the cactus and lewisias to prevent winter wet, wrapped about half of the Japanese maples, mulched the cyclamen, cleaned up the vegetable gardens. The days are much shorter, with daylight Savings Time, the sun is setting well before 5 p.m.

All the signs are there, but what really indicates to me that winter is imminent and growing is done(other than seeds, thank you for seeds!) is that, single, sad, unavoidable fact: I washed dishes, dried my hands, and alas! my last callus is gone, the one on my left hand, the "load-bearing" callus on my ring finger, the one that bears the weight of the shovel or the fork or the rake...

It truly is about to be winter.

kate

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigred(z8 Ark.)

Ok,since your done there....come finish up mine...*G*

Peggy

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 6:32AM
chrizty

LOL Mine needs finished up too hehe.
Yep its over. the hard work atleast. nows the time to work on the garden notebook n dream about next year..
wont be long till we can start wintersowing :)

Bookmark   November 12, 2010 at 2:16PM
mikey-gardener(6a,6b, kcmo)

Hey I found that when the growing season is over is when the work really begins. All the work to get ready for next year and all the strange possiblitys. This time of the year I really enjoy, ALL THE FRESH AIR, COOL WEATHER, AND LORD HELP ALL THE SORE MUSCLES ouch.

Bookmark   December 14, 2010 at 7:59PM
chrizty

ok Yep its really over, I cant see my yard from all the snow! so...when dose it begin again????? LOL I WANT SPRING!! I wanna see green again! I wanna see all my new daffs bloom! I want all the birds back,I want warm weather LOL.
Mickey Ill take sore muscles over freezin muscles right now. wait I have sore freezin muscles from shoulving my drive way. ;(
I have started wintersowing, n worked alil on my notebook.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
thanks mcc371
OK this is for mcc371 , i could not figure out your...
tergrov
Want: Great White tomato. Have: tomatoes (list inside)
I had a trade for some Great White seeds, but it looks...
muffypuffie
Will anyone have fresh hellebore seeds soon?
Hi everybody, I'd like to trade for some fresh Hellebore...
vaflowernut
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5
Adopt-A-Newbie ongoing list 5 we came from here: Adopt-A-Newbie...
leila hamaya
Wanted Nemophila Penny black
I'm very interested in finding these seeds for trade....
tamela_star
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™