Cherry Belle Radishes: Cover the red part?

ventaakMay 12, 2014

I'm experimenting with growing cherry belle radishes in containers. Someone told me it's not the season for them, but I decided to give it a shot.

Anyway, I was wondering. Are you supposed to cover the long red portion of the plant with soil?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

The small salad radishes like cherry bell are cool season, usually grown in the spring (hence the name spring radishes), not sure why someone would suggest this would not be the season for them unless its already getting too hot where you are.

I dont ever mound around my radishes I just let them go and do their thing. Such an easy crop really. too bad I hate the way they taste.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:43AM
jrslick (North Central Kansas, Zone 5B)

Zach: Try cooking with them. If you like the texture of cooked cauliflower, radishes are similar if you cook them that long. I prefer to cook them less and have a little crunch to them. They don't have a radish taste and are quite good. Our kids fight over them when we put them in a foil packet on the grill. Just an idea.

ventaak: I would just leave them alone and keep them moist. looks like they are doing good.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 10:36PM
Deeby

Yes, they're good cooked. But my fave-sliced thinly and placed on buttered dark bread with a sprinkle of sea salt. The butter just does something to the radishes, and they're mellow and good. I learned about this sandwich in another forum. The poster said it's an old Russian sandwich.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 11:16PM
sunnibel7 Md 7(7)

I found a recipe somewhere for radishes braised with buttermilk. Now I just need to get my hands on some buttermilk...

I agree it very much is the season for radishes.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 9:17AM
Deeby

I decided to use sliced radishes sprinkled with sea salt for "potato chips". It makes sense to me-radish slices have crunch and saltiness so why not have a healthy and still flavorful "chip"? Just as good with a sandwich as chips IMO.

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 2:44PM
ZachS. z5 Littleton, CO

Those actually sound like some good ideas! Now, if only my radishes hadn't gotten smashed into sad little heaps by the snow yesterday ...

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™