Seriously need help with front yard landscaping

jillb(z6 OH)August 8, 2010

Ok, this is going on 5 years already and I do not know what to do with the bed in front with the Linden tree - see photos. Also think I want to pull out the peonies in the beds with the cherry trees - love the flower but way to messy and look awful after flowering. Any suggestions for a low maintenance replacement that will keep with the feel of the yard? Front yard faces east with sun from morning until about 4-5 o'clock. Help!

Click here to view these pictures larger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agardenstateof_mind

There are not many plants less demanding than peonies! They are hardy and long-lived. Their bloom time is short, but I find the leaves stay healthy and full, making a nice foil for later blooming plants. They do get powdery mildew late in the season, but that's purely aesthetic and by then it's usually time to cut them down to the ground anyway. (Watering early in the day or keeping irrigation water off the leaves does help deter PM. I have also found Serenade Garden Spray effective against many bacterial and fungal diseases - it's a beneficial bacteria, OMRI-approved, and Bayer has just come out with the same produce under the label "Natria.")

Please explain why you feel yours are "messy" and how they look "awful" after flowering.

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 12:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ideasshare(z6)

your maintenance work is good,but maple,juniper,bush are more easy,I add some for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: if need more designing

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 1:30PM
More Discussions
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
seeking creative solution to pine root damage in driveway
Hello, My neighbor has some large pines which are on...
gardnergal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™