growing shallots in zone 5

never-give-upMay 9, 2009

I would like to try growing shallots this year. I have googled and searched on seed selling sites and the info differs as when to plant them in my zone. Should they be planted in the spring or fall here?

Anyone grown them in z5? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hatchjon

I have grown shallots here in Maine in zone 5. I planted from seed in the spring and they did very well.

Jon

Bookmark   May 9, 2009 at 5:37PM
never-give-up

Thank you very much Jon, I appreciate it.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 11:29AM
colleen_mi(5b/6a SE Mich)

The first time I grew shallots, I ordered and planted them in the fall with my garlic. Didn't know any better, and I guess I didn't read the instructions too well. I always mulch the garlic bed pretty thickly with shredded leaves, and the shallots did just fine. I guess nobody told them they weren't supposed to survive either. :-) I'm in zone about 5 1/2. So even though spring is the ideal time to plant them, if you like shallots a lot, you might try planting some in the fall for an early harvest, too. I have some coming along right now that must be from ones I missed in last year's crop.

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 9:32AM
never-give-up

Thank you colleen mi. I will try a second crop in the fall. I don't have any place in the house or cellar that provides the right conditions to keep things. I so wish I had my moms root cellar. Being able to get a spring crop of shallots as well would be great!

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™