need recommendations for sun loving ground cover

jillb(z6 OH)August 8, 2010

Any suggestions for ground cover for full sun - perferable one that stays green without flowering and requires little water to thrive.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Anything will need watering to get established.

Do you want evergreen?

spreading junipers?
Ajuga?
creeping thyme?
a "meadow" of various short wild grasses and wildflowers?

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 11:17AM
wellspring

I think your best bet is to use the wonderful search feature at the Missouri Botanical Garden website.

Put in your zone. Put in Full sun. Put in ground cover and see what it brings up. You'll be able to review good information about each plant type, narrow your preferences, and then work toward a list that you can take to a local nursery for further exploration.

Choosing a specific ground cover without any design context feels a little weird for me on this forum. I haven't a clue what or where or how this query fits within a landscape. Maybe it would make more sense to pave the area or use astro turf? Just kidding, but working in the dark leads to strange suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Missouri Botanical Garden

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 12:22PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I second the Mobot recommendation. Sometimes a search will return very few results. If that happens, just tweak the "Requirements" and "Characteristics" sections, as well as anything you checked in the far-right column, and search again.

After the Mobot search, you might want to ask here or elsewhere about particular plants.

For instance, some groundcovers are more aggressive than others, and they can be aggressive in different ways. So it may matter whether you're trying to fill in a 30' slope (you only have to trim the outer perimeter -- some people would use vinca for this) or the edges of your foundation beds (you'd need to trim along the lawn edging and make sure the groundcover doesn't strangle, creep behind, or climb up the shrubs -- vinca would quickly overwhelm your foundation shrubs and be making its way across the lawn in its mission to Take Over the World).

Bookmark   August 8, 2010 at 2:48PM
tibs(5/6 OH)

Not to be a smarta$$, but the best ground cover for full sun is grass. Not if you are a lawn maniac that wants a pure pristine mono culture and bright green all summer. A mix of clover, several grasses, creeping charlie, etc and mow it high and not as often.

Bookmark   August 10, 2010 at 7:19PM
More Discussions
To fence or not to fence
Greetings, I live in a heavily wooded area. My wife...
rick777
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Concrete or Pavers
Hey guys, So I've started the process of having contractors...
jplee3
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™