My experience with turface all sport

smishgibson(7b)November 4, 2013

Just wanted to share my results with a bag of turface all sport and what sort of particle sizes were in the bag, how much was course, how much was medium, and how much was fine(unusable).

I ordered this bag from john deere landscaping, the only source i could find near where I live. Took about 2 or 3 weeks to get here, and was around 15 dollars for a 50 pound bag.

This is the bag, a bit different than some others i have seen. I assume its just john deere's packaging.

This is the results of the screening. The far left 5 gallon bucket is the largest, 1/8th inch or larger. The middle 5 gallon bucket is smaller than 1/8th but larger than 1/16th. And the container on the far right is smaller than 1/16th(waste)

Here is a shot comparing their sizes with a quarter. This image looks a bit small to me when posted, right click on it and choose "open in a new tab" to view a larger version.

By weight this is what i got:

Fine(1/16th or smaller, waste): 5.8 pounds
Medium(larger than 1/16th - 1/8th): 25.8 pounds
Large(larger than 1/8th) 17.6 pounds

Poor downstairs neighbors deck that i dropped a cup of turface on accidentally: 0.8 pounds. (Added for comic value, however did happen) :-)

I screened mine like this for a few reason.

1) Just to experiment and share the results so people could know more about what they may be buying.
2) I wanted to use the larger size to make gritty mix for succulents that will be grown hard. e.g. Jades.
3) Wanted to use the medium, or a mix of medium/large to adjust water retentiveness of gritty mix for plants that like a bit more water, or I want to extend the watering intervals

NOTES ON THIS PRODUCT VS NAPA OIL DRY #8822

*Its a darker color, more redish. The napa is more gray
*Its heavier
*Its much harder. Although the floor dry does pass the soak test, i can break it up after its soaked if i try really really hard. I basically can't breakup the turface unless i use my knife.

I hope this has been informative, and if you have any questions about this product, that i haven't answered here let me know. Also, any input would be appreciated!

-Jess

This post was edited by smishgibson on Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 9:13

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

Thanks. Very informative.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 9:03AM
maple_grove_gw

Thanks for taking the time to share this.

This is the same stuff I use. It's very helpful and useful to see a scientifically-based analysis, and is roughly in line with my observations as well.

-Alex

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 12:30PM
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

maybe i have missed it but has anyone done this with Turface MVP? Id be curious to see how much waste it has.

mike

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 4:59PM
gregbradley(Upland, CA USDA 9b Sunset 19)

MVP and All Sport are the same thing with grain size ranging from dust to large.

Pro League and All Sport Pro are the same thing with fairly consistent grain size - slightly smaller than the average size of MVP/All Sport.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 9:20PM
seysonn(8a WA/HZ 1)

I am learning. Never heard about turface before. As I understand , it is like fired brick crushed up . I think it is more beneficial for potting plants that will be there for longer than a year. So maybe bark nuggets will do for annuals. I could be wrong.

Bookmark   November 4, 2013 at 11:03PM
More Discussions
Transplanting between containers
I'm looking for a rule of thumb for proper transplanting,...
cakbu z9 CA
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
silverrowan
Lateral water movement in 511 mix under drip irrigation
I would appreciate it if someone can give me an indication...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Sponsored Products
Franklin U-Sofa Sectional - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Flashforge Creator Pro 3D Printer
FRONTGATE
Corona 7 Piece Outdoor Patio Sectional Set in White Black
$1,425.00 | LexMod
Y Chair - Sled Base (Set of 2) by Tom Dixon
$900.00 | Lumens
Solid Hardwood: Millstead Flooring Hickory Honey 3/4 in. Thick x 4 in. Width x
$6.58 | Home Depot