sending seeds to Europe

ramazz(8a VA)November 9, 2007

I received an e-mail from someone who lives in the Netherlands. This individual indicated that sending seeds to and from Europe did not require any special permits or forms to be filled out. I thought that it was illegal to ship seeds to Europe without filling out special forms.

Can someone please enlighten me? I am not sure that this individual has anything special, but I want to know the proper procedure.

Becky

ramazz

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

Hey Becky! I found this,hope it is what you are looking for,if not I am sure someone with the knowledge will be through here soon!Please forgive me if this is not what you need! ~ Angie:)

Here is a link that might be useful: federal register of rules and regulations

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 8:17PM
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

Ok Becky I came up with this too! Maybe between the two of these you will get an answer! :)~Angie

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to International trading discussion! :)

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 8:26PM
remy_gw

Hi Becky,
It is not illegal to send to Europe or Canada. There could be restrictions of certain plant seeds in some European countries. Australia has some restrictions. I can''t remember off hand exactly but it was like I could send tomatoes, not beans, lol. I've not traded with other places.
It is illegal to RECEIVE seeds from foreign countries unless you get a permit. You can take your chances and have them send a package without the permit saying something else is inside like hobby supplies, beads, whatever. They could get confiscated though so you are taking a chance.
I think it is silly that a permit is needed for seeds.(Plants I can understand.) It should be like Australia in that I wrote the Latin names on the pkgs. to ensure I sent legal seeds. Of course without a permit, someone is not making money.
Remy

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 8:27PM
pattygrow5(z6Pa)

I have traded to many countries in past years but only to Canada in recent years I have always had to fill out a form for the post office to attach to package.
Patty

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 6:28AM
eclpsprinc(Z9 CA)

Hi Becky,

I just completed a wonderful trade with someone from the Netherlands... probably the same person you are considering. I was concerned at first but I didn't have any problems sending or receiving. I didn't fill out any forms whatsoever.

Bookmark   November 10, 2007 at 8:40PM
ramazz(8a VA)

The individual who wants to trade with me insists she does not need to do anything special when shipping me seeds. So I guess if I trade with her, I am taking a chance. I would prefer to do it the proper way and know I will get the seeds.

Becky

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 9:58AM
agirlsgirl(6 SW-PA)

I agree Becky,I would want to be 100% sure on that I was doing everything perfectly legal, too. I think it is worth checking into to make sure you are well within the law! I am sure it is worth filling a few papers out to get ahold of some of the interesting seeds you can get through that avenue,
Good Luck! :)
~Angie

Bookmark   November 12, 2007 at 11:02AM
kms4me

I've traded several times with Canadian and European traders. In all instances, both my trader and I filled out forms at the time of mailing indicating we were sending gifts of seeds with a monetary value of 0, and no packages were ever confiscated from either side.

I've also received seeds from Chiltern Seeds (England), Jelitto (Germany), and Dowdeswell Delphiniums (New Zealand) without a permit. But Gardens North in Canada will not ship without one.

kms

Bookmark   November 21, 2007 at 3:22AM
More Discussions
Check out my updated trade list
My trade list has been updated and I am looking to...
rozenkruetz
Want: Great White tomato. Have: tomatoes (list inside)
I had a trade for some Great White seeds, but it looks...
muffypuffie
WANTED: Crimson Delight Tomato
Howdy fellow GW/Houzzers. I am on the search for Crimson...
EricaBraun
Wanted Nemophila Penny black
I'm very interested in finding these seeds for trade....
tamela_star
omphalodes cappadocia 'Starry Eyes "
Would like to receive this lovely plant's seeds if...
Patty57
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™