Rock Border

cookie8(zone 5 ON)August 19, 2010

When you edge your gardens and plan to put some in stones to edge it, do you edge and then put the rocks on the inside of the edge? Or, do you edge it and put the rock border on the grass? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
duluthinbloomz4

I trench edge so don't have that quandry. In either case, you have some kind of defined boundary between bed and grass. Given my druthers, I'd edge and put rocks on dirt - but you're going to have grass growth around, under, and between the rocks anyway.

I don't see that as a satisfactory edging solution if the rocks aren't large and mortared together. Then you'd only have to spend time weed whacking or hand clipping where the mower can't go.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 12:32PM
ideasshare(z6)

edge,border,rock,grass,garden need to design.not sure,some time, yes.other time not

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pics design

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 1:17PM
cookie8(zone 5 ON)

Thanks. Yeah, it looks good in our yard with the rock border but the extra maintenance is a pain. I will probably pull the rocks up each year, touch up the border and put them back. The "grass" is in pretty bad shape by the garden and am currently working on it so anything that makes it look better will help (such as a cleaner looking border). Thanks for the link too.

Bookmark   August 19, 2010 at 1:23PM
nimblefingers_2010

I use old granite curbing as edging, the grass in my yard is mainly weeds (gardens are were i spend all my time) So i just make sure the garden looks good and dont care about the edge of the grass.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 11:25AM
uniquegardenplants

Or just use a bed trencher....that's how most landscapers get that crisp sharp grass edge against a mulched bed. You can rent one for probably about $50 a half day.

Bookmark   August 20, 2010 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Brick Patio from Salvaged bricks
I came by about 600 nice clean used bricks for free...
oldgardenguy_zone6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™