Do you look at the original post date?

plant-one-on-me(MI 5b)November 22, 2008

A few minutes ago I almost answered at "Have" offer on another board and saw the original post was from October of 2007! I see quite a few people asking for or answering posts that seem to be very old. I know there are some threads going around from 2004 but they are not for Haves/wants. Does anyone else look at the original post date before replying?

Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jaleeisa(6b Oklahoma)

I do! I learned early on that some boards aren't as active as others. And that there's always someone who will revive a long ended thread. There have been a couple times I've thought to respond and go back to get the original info only to find the thread months and even years old. After about a month, I've just gotten into the habit of always checking the original date.

Something good to point out to newbies.

Kathy

Bookmark   November 22, 2008 at 8:54PM
flwrs4ever

yes, for some reason newbies see the word free, and dont worry about the dates, or that someone posted that they are out of seed....i have even seen where Sue has nicely posted the thread is closed, and people still post. A few weeks ago someone posted to a lot of old seed offers, and then more people responded..lol

so YES, i always look at the date.

Kym

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 1:35AM
Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana(zone 5/6)

Hmmmmm...very good thing to mention in Hints and Tips when the FAQ are redone....that, and to check the box so that follow-up replies to a thread be sent to one's email too.

I notice a lot of newbies, who not only don't have an email link on their Member Page, but they have not checked the box to get follow-up replies emailed to them. Subsequently, I think the newbie often does not come back and check their thread, possibly because of not being able to find it, or they just get over it and move on. My estimate is that 50-75% are never seen or heard from again...so sad.

I have even seen where Sue has nicely posted the thread is closed, and people still post.
Sometimes I post such things in big red letters and it still is not seen, or else it is just ignored. I've seen that more so though at the Rate and Review Forum though when I am attempting to get all posts directed to the original review thread for a member.

Sue...rbb

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 9:20AM
angelady777 (was angelady on GW) - Zone 6(6)

It is a litle harder to notice when it's bumped to the front page. I wish people would quit searching for free or SASBE or whatever and bumping it up. I think I look most of the time, but probably not other times when I forget or overlook doing it. I'll try to remember how important that is. The other replies wouldn't come if the original person didn't bump it up, too, which makes it an evergoing cycle. I won't check to get follow ups any more on any of my posts just for that reason. I don't want to be hounded two years later from numerous responses if someone bumps the thread. I wish there were a choice to get replies emailed for up to 2 or 3 months, but not for life. LOL

Blessings,
Angela

Bookmark   November 23, 2008 at 3:14PM
More Discussions
Have Commercial seed for trade
All offered seeds are commercial, most will arrive...
Frances Coffill
wanted: daylily seeds
Looking for daylily seeds. I have sarracenia rhizomes...
ericmd01
Looking to trade
Let say that I'm not liking this new format at all....
mori1
Let's Regroup! How About a Roll Call for GW Seed Exchangers?
We can stay in touch if we post our old GW username...
katjaqu
HAVE : Different backgrounds and improved viewing of this site!
some of us gw webbers have been creating different...
leila hamaya
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™