Searching for Haydite

JerryVenturaNovember 13, 2011

Does anyone know where I might find Haydite on the west coast? I know someone must have an expanded shale produce around here somewhere. I want to use it instead of Turface. The Haydite company back east has two blends that look really nice, No sifting would be required.

Jerry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

After doing a bit of research via the internet and Google, which I'm sure you've already done, it looks like Haydite is available closer to the Midwest and Eastern areas of the States. I would keep looking... bonsai growers seem to use this product, so you may be able to locate a bonsai supply company that would carry it and be willing to ship you some.

It appears that the actual manufacturers only deal in bulk... but you never know... a few phone calls, a few emails... a little more research using different key words, such as bonsai supplies or bonsai soils... you may get lucky.

Good luck in your search... I wish I could be more helpful.

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 6:03AM
JerryVentura

Bonsai places just don't carry the amount that I would want, plus it would cost a fortune to ship at least 40 lb bags. I think I may have found a place in Ontario, they are a concrete supplier and produce other products from fired shale. That's still about 3 hours from my house but it might be worth the trip. What was nice about the haydite brand is that it's a hair bigger than Turface and it was all nice and sifted into just the right sizes that I would like to use, that means no sifting! I might just go to a friends nursery that pots up his own plants and see what he uses.
Thank you very much for the effort.

On another note, I learn a lot from your other posts, thank you.

Jerry

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 8:40PM
jodik_gw

Thank you for saying so, Jerry... I'm glad to help. :-)

You know... if your friend owns a nursery, he may be in a position to order Haydite in bulk, or at least might be able to help you go a wholesale route, so to speak. He may know another place to get the stuff, or know another nursery that uses it.

Good luck in your search!

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
fertilizing cuttings ?
Hello - I have some fig cuttings in 60% perlite/40%...
briana_2006
glowing pots
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I...
mystmaiden
new container gardener
I have decided to plant in containers this year, I...
mary grether
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
Unusual Containers
I've been growing Sedum in a wheel off of a tire (that...
tomatoman100
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™