Dawn Redwood in a whiskey Barrel

beankrom(7b)November 2, 2012

I have a 9 foot 1 inch caliper Dawn redwood that I got from a nursery last spring that I potted up in Al's 5-1-1 mix in a whiskey barrel that I drilled at least a dozen 3/4 inch drainage holes. Question is how to over winter in the pot, Should I mulch or put straw bales around, move it into the detached garage, move it to a northern exposure, leave it where it is on an east exposure? I know I need to keep the medium from drying out and watering from a can in the winter . I know Dawn redwoods aren't ideal container trees, but I can get a few years enjoyment out of it. People do cultivate dawn redwoods for bonsai too, so maybe it can just be considered a 15 ft bonsai. I live in Salt Lake City so winter lows are usually lows in the twenties but teens are occasional. The leaves have yet to turn red, though all other trees around town have turned and are dropping.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

It shouldn't need protection if its container is on the ground, but mulching around the sides of the container and on top of the soil w/whatever's on hand would help moderate low soil temps.

Al

Bookmark   November 3, 2012 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Coarse Perlite for 5:1:1
Hi all, first off is "coarse" the correct...
halocline
Need advice for container garden for elderly woman
I have a question on container gardening for an elderly...
sharonkdr
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
George Spector
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™