Winter Veggie Help

kissingfrogs2003November 13, 2011

I tried asking these couple of questions once before with minimal response so hoping a repost will help...

1)Radishes and Carrots

~I know radishes do well in winter so I plan to keep those going but unsure about carrots...can I plant them as well this time of year in pots and get some "salad toppers"? (fyi these are mini varieties- sparkler radishes and baby finger carrots)

2)Spinach and Lettuce

~I have spinach (melody variety) that I know will stand up in freezing temperatures. What about lettuce? I have very small head variety (forget the name) that is producing leaves currently but wodnering if that will stop and/or if I will be able to plant more!

3) Herbs

~I am hoping to bring my herbs indoors but in case I can't...is there anything than can survive winters outdoors? I have the following herbs at the moment: sage, dill, parsley, cilantro, thyme, catnip, oregano, rosemary

~ ALSO, is there any form of basil that survives outdoors in the winter? All of my plants are fading fast and havent moved beyond two leaf pairs each. I would hate to have nothing to use until warmer weather... (sadly lost all my freezer supplies to a tragic electrical malfunction). IF NOT: what kind do you recommend to grow indoors with limited light available?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rockguy(7a)

sage, cilantro, catnip, and rosemary are perennials and live outside in z6. Not sure about the others but parsley has lived over the winter here tho it's not gonna live a lot of years. Basil smells and tastes like basil from the day it sprouts, so get a lot of seed and grow basil sprouts if you have to, :)

Bookmark   November 13, 2011 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
SighBorg
Best glue for terracotta pots?
Yes I did. Left some of my pots outside and now they...
keepingon
"tapla" root pruning question
Hi Al, I bought another Brush Cherry, and wanted your...
halocline
Indoor vegetables and 5-1-1
I'm growing vegetables indoors in containers. Is the...
gardev
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™