Constructing Raised Beds - What to line inside with?
I am constructing two 4'x18' raised beds to start a vegetable garden. I have everything planned out except what to line the inside of the frames with to protect the wood from the wet dirt. On the ground I will be placing 2" of crushed gravel to provide drainage underneath.
Can someone provide some suggestions on what to use? I want to prevent the wood from rotting as much as possible. The boxes will be constructed with untreated pine.
This is how I will be constructing my garden if anyone wants to supply any other tips:
1) Till and level area
2) Install galvanized wire over ground (we have burrowing rodents)
3) Place 2" of crushed gravel over ground
4) Build raised bed frames, 2"x10" double-stacked for 20" high beds
5) Remove some gravel from inside beds to allow worms to make their way inside
6) Install drainage material on inside of beds
7) Place loam in raised bed
8) Install soaker hoses, 3 evenly spaced down each bed
9) Start planting
- Eventually install fence to block off remaining area from animals
Thanks for your help.