Seed viability plastic or paper?

rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)December 16, 2008

I was going through my seeds and noticed the GW old timers mostly use paper to send seeds. Is paper better for seeds and their viability? What are your thoughts......Can we also name seeds that have short viability for us newbies....Happy holidays Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remy_gw

Hi Barb,
I'm a paper preferred person. For a couple reasons. One, I originally didn't have anything to put seeds in to trade them and my hubby clipped up an envelope and I realized I could make pkts. from scrap paper. This appeals to my cheap side, lol. Two, I once killed seeds by pkging in plastic too soon. I had though they were out drying long enough, but I was wrong. Seed can look dry, but if the percent of moisture isn't below a certain point, they will die. If there is a high percent of moisture left, you will actually see mold develop. So I like to be safe and just use paper.
I will use plastic for tiny seeds though like poppy seed.

There aren't many seeds with a real short viability. Allium(onion family,) some herbs like parsley, and I'm drawing a blank right now, lol.
There are some seeds that should not dry out or will lose viability quickly. The rose family which includes roses, apples, and other fruits. Also woodland plants that are spring ephemerals need to be planted immediately.

Most seed though stored in a cool, dry, and dark spot will stay viable for quite sometime. I sowed seeds from 2004 and 2005 this past winter and had no trouble with most all of them.
Remy

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 9:13PM
jaynine

this link has length of viability for a few varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: seed viability

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 9:45PM
rosepedal(Four seasons zone4/5)

Thanks Remy and Jaynine for the response. I am just learning about viability of seeds and it made me wonder. I know adedium seeds need planted within 90 days of collecting. I have found out also gas plant needs planted right away. I was wondering about other seeds too...Sure is a learning experiance this gardening stuff. lol Barb

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 6:47PM
jaynine

Hi Barb,
here's some dictamnus growing info.

Here is a link that might be useful: dictamnus germination

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 10:19PM
medontdo(8)

i wish i had known that, i had some from fall, and still haven't planted them, saving them for winter sowing. ~Medo

Here is a link that might be useful: Barehanded Totally Nutso Gardener!! **Big Grinn**

Bookmark   December 18, 2008 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Green Envy zinnias
My daughter has a passion for flowers, she's 12 and...
sunsetfarm
Wanted Nemophila Penny black
I'm very interested in finding these seeds for trade....
tamela_star
Good news! Trade lists are back!
If you check someone's profile page, you will see a...
Tamara
HAVE 10 Key Lime Seeds to TRADE
I decided I do not have the patience, space or interest...
rubyhum
organizing your seeds
Ok. Another question from this newby. How do you oldtimer...
gardenmom2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™