need your plant stand ideas

xanthoria(9)November 30, 2010

We have a slate patio with many potted plants on it. The slate was installed incorrectly (a vent for another day) but the net result is that we must keep our pots off the slate to allow it to dry.

We have a few plant stands (wrought iron) left by the previous owner, but I cannot find any in the same design despite endless online searches.

Can anyone suggest a place that sells iron plant stands (single pot style) in a very plain design (no scrolls etc) or another means of keeping the pots at least an inch or two off the slate? Like those little terracotta feet for pots? Or something even more clever and inexpensive?

We have hundreds of pots to raise up... nice iron stands are too expensive to do all at once!


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pippi21(Z7 Silver Spring, Md.)

Try K-Mart, Walmart or Target..Right now most of the large stores like Home Depot and Lowe's probably have their garden stores taken over by Christmas or holiday decorations,trees,etc. You might have to wait until mid January or Feb. for those big stores to put their patio furniture, and gardening supplies back out.

    Bookmark   November 30, 2010 at 6:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

The least expensive supports I've seen are plastic, with (I think) a 1.5" rise for $5 (12" or smaller pots):

They are also available on Amazon, probably at about the same price.

For $10, you can get a black metal stand with a 15" rise -- "Garden Treasures". The legs curl up at the bottom but the only other scrolling is pretty much hidden under the pot. On the Lowes website(I can't get the link to work.)

    Bookmark   December 1, 2010 at 11:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindasewandsew(So Cal 9)

I use stove grates or plastic drain covers. Look them up on Google images if you're not sure what they are. I find them at thrift stores, swap meets, in dumpsters and on the curb on trash day. Habitat (for humanity) Restore sells the stove grates for 50â each here. They probably have drain covers too. There are Restores popping up everywhere, so check online for them. Ask the question over on the Garden Junk forum and you'll probably get more ideas than you could ever use that cost little or nothing. Linda

    Bookmark   December 2, 2010 at 4:19PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

stove grates! perfection! :D

    Bookmark   December 6, 2010 at 7:40PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Reusing infested soil
Last year, my outdoor container-grown kale suffered...
What to plant in 4 1/4 Gallon Food Grade Buckets?
I was recently given about 20 4 1/4 gallon food grade...
container mixture
hi, Can someone give tips on how to choose composting...
Growing Dahlia and Sweet Pea in same container? (advice)
I have a few very large planters, and while I do love...
Wicking more water retentive soils
I was wondering what the disadvantages are when using...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Sponsored Products
Black + Brass Conical Bowl
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Armen Living Diva Slipper Chair - LC364ARBR
$424.59 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Area Rug: Boxes Blue 5' 6" x 8' 6"
Home Depot
Couristan Chobi Matisse Red/Multi Area Rug - 3312/0625-2.6X12.6RUNNER
Khaki & Brown Solar LED Market Umbrella
$99.99 | zulily
Coastal Shower Doors Shower Enclosures Paragon Series 30 in. x 69 in.
Home Depot
Lime & Pink Ribbon Plate
$19.99 | zulily
Square Brass Pedestal Double Face 3x or 5x Magnifying Mirror
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™