Newbie needing help

queensinfoNovember 23, 2011

I just moved to a new house and want to prepare for planting in the spring. I have 3 or 4-12 inch pots and 2-18 inch pots. I know that I want to grow raspberries and blackberries for sure (thornless). These pots will be behind my house on concrete (the back of my house faces south and is unshaded). I have an unheated garage that i can move the plants into for the winter.

What are the best varieties? Should i plant the berries in the 18 inch pots? how many plants per pot?

My thinking was 2 or 3 arapahoe blackberries in the 18 inch pot, a raspberry plant in a 12 inch pot - preferably a long fruiting variety (or two plants in each pot) and maybe a strawberry plant in a 12 inch pot as well.

I also intend to grow a fruit tree or two and need to figure that out. I am leaning towards plums and peaches also in containers, is the 18 inch big enough.

Do the combination grafted trees really produce (i have seen a combination plum, peach, nectarine tree). Also, how would citrus do in NYC - thinking clementines. (I don't mind buying additional pots, what size pots would work best?).

I plan to read the soil mix discussions but the amount of information is extremely overwhelming and a little confusing.

Sorry for all the questions but isn't that what this forum is about? I think that is all for now.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TheMasterGardener1(5B)

I cant tell you the exact variety but I can help you. Pick a hybrid that is bushy, they will produce and be easy to keep in a pot. They need extremely well draining medium and low ph. those size pots are just fine. It starts with the soil/media so try to find Al's 5-1-1 post, its 5 parts pine bark 1/16"-1/2", one part peat, one part perlite but dont use lime because you want the acidity, use epsom salts and gypsum to provide Ca/Mg if you are using Miracle gro which lacks those 2 things.

You can grow in peat based media for berries as well, like the bark the peat should not be ph ballanced. I don't suggest using potting soil. I would not try citrus in the climate of the north-east. Stick to berries they are more used to this climate and will thrive. Good Luck!

Bookmark   November 24, 2011 at 11:00AM
More Discussions
Summer Squash
Last spring/summer, I planted a summer squash that...
meawea
Questions about gritty mix
Hi folks, I am a long time gardener but new to the...
hsw (zone 6, Boston area)
Al's Gritty Mix -- A Learning Experinece
I came to this forum a few weeks ago in an attempt...
Jessicasgrowincitrus
Culinary Herbs?
I need to buy some culinary herbs. Where is the best...
sharbear50
CONTAINER SOILS - WATER MOVEMENT and RETENTION XXII
Hello! Houzz's new format has presented some challenges,...
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)
Sponsored Products
Marina 25W Clear Showcase Bulb - 11683
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Marina 50 Air Pump - 11110
$24.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Diameterorado 66 - 88 F / 19 - 31 C - 11223
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Minerva 66 - 86 F / 19 - 30 C - 11226
$17.99 | Hayneedle
Marina 15W Aqua Glo Showcase Bulb - 11700
$18.99 | Hayneedle