Dwarf Christmas Tree for Porch Pots

parkhouseNovember 17, 2011

Can anyone suggest the type of live evergreen I can put in porch pots next to the front door that can stay there year round and donn't get taller than 3 - 4 feet. We live in coastal NC. Thanks so much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

The main issue you'll face is that very few conifers will stay that small.
Even so-called "dwarf" conifers are only considered such when compared to their
larger relatives. For example, a dwarf redwood might still grow to be 200 feet tall.

What you will need are mini conifers, which will still need to be tended periodically.
Mini conifers, in general, fetch a higher price and are usually grafted. Also, they are
very slow growing (in order to stay within the size requirement), so you may not have
that instant gratification. In other words, you can't plop a full-sized Christmas tree
into a pot and expect it to stay that way. If you don't mind changing the tree out,
and replacing it with something in a few years, then your choices become much broader.

Josh

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 3:42PM
tapla (mid-MI z5b-6a)

I think too, that your USDA zone is going to eliminate the lion's share of good possibilities. What zone are you? It's good to include that tidbit in your user info so we can better help you.

Al

Bookmark   November 18, 2011 at 9:32AM
howelbama(7 NJ)

dwarf blue spruce, though they will get to about 7 feet eventually, and will probably get root bound in a container. Also they will sometimes revert back to their original genetics, creating a very odd looking tree.

Bookmark   November 23, 2011 at 9:58PM
More Discussions
Long Term Potting Mix Recipe - Alternative to Gritty Mix
Hi everyone, I'm a new gardener from Perth, Western...
arcan
Banana plant in grow bag
hi .. potted this tree last month and it has survived...
amriteanukul112
Question about too much dryness in my container garden
I have several Behlen food-grade stocktanks (1x2x6)...
catherinet
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Small container producing good?
hi.. my experiments with potted plants Fertilizers...
amriteanukul112
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™