WANTED: Seeds with a story/history

ajm11(7)January 25, 2013

I am looking for seeds with a personal history. My goal is to create a garden full of stories, tales, and photos of horticultures past and publish them.

I am working on a photo publication in which I am growing out heirloom varieties that have been passed along with a story. I want to overlay the photos of the grow out with the stories of the seed. Anyone that has such seeds or old photos that I could archive would be of great help to my project. I am happy to assist with SASBE's or postage. In return you will receive a digital copy when I am finished.

Background:
As many of us thumb through seed catalogues this time of year, we find ourselves thinking of days gone by and seeds that have been saved

Since I was a young boy there was always one type of seed my grandmother and I would save every year. It was not from anything to special, just an ordinary Jack O Lantern pumpkin. While the seed could have been had for cheap at any feed store, it was something my "Mee Maw" and I did every year. Every spring I would pull our that mason jar and plant a few of the seeds. Some years we did better than others but what mattered was that constant connection to our past time together. It's stories like these that I would like to document and pass on to our future generations.

All plants will be grown on my farm in Muskogee, OK. Any seed I can save will be passed back to the original sender or forwarded in trades on GW.

I am planning to grow out any variety of seed I receive and create a photo diary full of how that seed came to be.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wally_1936(8b)

Sounds like a great adventure. We all need to get back to the love of gardening and share those experiences with our family and friends. I save and share seeds and plants when ever I can but most of these is now in the past. I have read many of the histories of others here so you should get so great stories.

Bookmark   January 25, 2013 at 8:15AM
soilent_green

This thread deserves another chance on page one so I am bumping it.

Bookmark   January 28, 2013 at 12:47AM
terrene(5b MA)

Not sure if you're looking for flowers, but do a search on GW for "Yvonne's Salvia", this might be a good candidate for your project.

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 1:37AM
gwen49(6a)

This may seem like a silly question , but here goes.
Do you mean personal to the member themselves
or for example mortgage lifter tomato named for saving the farm? craw beans first found in the craw of a game bird being prepared?
Thanks,
Gwen

Bookmark   January 30, 2013 at 1:59AM
More Discussions
wanted: daylily seeds
Looking for daylily seeds. I have sarracenia rhizomes...
ericmd01
Looking for all size/types of sunflowers that I don't have
Please look at my want list for sunflowers and hope...
bluee19
organizing your seeds
Ok. Another question from this newby. How do you oldtimer...
gardenmom2
wanting Armenian Cucumber
Does anyone have this to trade? I have other veggie...
jen_frazier
Will anyone have fresh hellebore seeds soon?
Hi everybody, I'd like to trade for some fresh Hellebore...
vaflowernut
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™