What Are the Sweetest Carrot Varieties?

just_me_6(WV 6 - West Virginia-Tri State)May 26, 2012

I tasted some carrot baby food recently that was absolutely delicious (don't ask why I was tasting baby food!). I am usually so/so on most vegetables and I could not understand how these carrots tasted so sweet. There was no added sugar or other ingredients; only carrots and water.

I guess Beech Nut and Gerber companies grow a special variety(s) to get such sweet carrots. I think if I grew some delicious carrots like these, I'd be more apt to eat them than the ones in the grocery produce section.

Can anyone suggest some carrot varieties that might taste like the sweet ones used in baby food? I have already read somewhere that soil conditions and cool weather may affect carrot taste. If you have any tips for soil and weather, please share :-) But I'm guessing specific carrot varieties are also a must.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
glib(5.5)

It is no secret, in increasing order of importance

1) good garden soil, which may have been fertilized or manured the year before, but not this year while carrots are growing

2) consistent watering throughout the season

3) pick them two weeks after hard frost, or leave in the ground through the winter and pick in February

#3 is what really sweetens them.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 5:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mindyw3(5)

Ive heard napoli, but ive never grown them myself. Also ive heard letting them reach full size (because they develop sugar as they mature) and leaving in the ground thru a frost.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
Old fertilizer question
I have a large bag of 10-10-10 that got wet. I doubt...
zzackey
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Who uses hog/cattle panels for Tomato Trellis? Need some advice
Hello, I'm close to going with some kind of livestock...
srj19
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™