What would we be getting ourselves into?

robo (z6a)August 26, 2013

Hi all,

First off, this is not my house. This is a cottage we are considering buying and I was wondering if you guys thought it might be more trouble than it is worth?

We are looking for a cottage in Nova Scotia, and this one that we like has quite a steep lot down to the lake (I think that's one reason it's in our price range).

Personally I have little experience living with a steep slope like this. Do you think it's going to be a huge pain in the patoot--I mean, wallet--to work with a lot such as this?

Needs: to be able to get kayaks and kids in and out of the water. No gardening or lawn. No wheelchair access. No motorboat (although I can't swear the husband wouldn't want some dinghy with an outboard in the future).

I'm not looking forward to tumbling down ar&$-over-teakettle with a kayak on my head so would want to make a fairly safe path down.

Any thoughts on what people usually do with lots like this? Thanks for any feedback you can provide, I really appreciate it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lyfia

From the pictures it doesn't look too bad. Why not put a storage area near the dock that way you don't have to lug kayaks down the hill more than one time - to get them to the storage area.

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 4:01PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Also, a pathway doesn't have to be a straight shot down the hill, but could switchback across the slope to minimize the slope; think a downhill series of s-curve ski tracks to help visualize the pathway. It doesn't look all that steep from the photos, what is the rise compared to run?

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 7:05PM
robo (z6a)

Thanks for your replies! I was definitely considering switchbacks. itt is about 90 mins away so I have only been out to see it once. If I had to guess I'd say it is maybe an average of 30 percent. But more like 40 or 50 percent near the bottom.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 7:44

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 7:43AM
rosiew(8 GA)

It would be great if you could get out on the lake in a boat to see how properties with similar slopes have been handled.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:37AM
lazy_gardens

How about a kayak "slide" ... some sort of a chute you could slide the boat straight down and pull it back up with a winch or just pullies.

Or, make a small place next to the dock for summer storage and make a nice zig-zag path down to the dock

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 1:13PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™